8th season Harris hawk......

Saker Clive

Made arrangements to meet up with Bootersty (Russell, a newbie off the IFF) who has been out with me a couple of times now to get some hands on experiance with the HH.

We went to one of the golf courses hoping that we'd get a rabbit or two. The wind was good so he had a great time soaring about; at first he was 'mobbed' by about 20 crows for a while but that didn't faze him, in fact it seemed to make him soar all the more and wind them up. We walked the length of the valley with Kiere following on and soaring about. He also had fun putting in on the loads of woodies, crashing through the branches as they began to flee! We didn't get to see any rabbits and on our way back down again, Kier was having a good soar about then headed for a tree looking for somewhere to perch for a while. As he approached he almost stopped then dropped hard into the tree.......................a blackbird came out squawking and a kessie began screaming and I hoped that he hadn't grabbed it. We could hear him stamping about so we made our way up the hill towards the tree and brambles where he went in. We clambered through the area and we could see him slowing dragging his 'kill' further into the thick bushes. We noticed a number of woodpigeon feathers and just made out that it was a pigeon before he disappeared deeper out of site There was no way I was able to get to him so we went around and approached from the opposite end but it was even thicker and could only hear his bells. He seemed to be about 8 feet in and unreachable from both ends so all we could do was sit and wait for him to finish. We could hear him moving about and each time we went to see his where-abouts he moved again After about 40 minutes we heard his bells more clearly and I then saw him sitting on a branch about 5 feet up. I spoke to him as I made in and he just sat there while I picked up his jesses and fully equipped him and tied him on the glove. His crop was full to say the least of fresh hot pigeon but like always when he kills, I gave him a chick as well. I'd be suprised if I fly him for a couple of days but Bootersty has now seen the different ways in which Harris' fly. he has seen him fly back and forth from the fist in 'training' and now in hunting mode and killing.

I think that we both had a fun few hours........................I know Kier did.

post-18592-1253358726.jpg

Edited by Saker Clive

• 2 weeks later...