Regular Pigeon Shooting

I am interested to know everybodies attitude towards frequency of shooting.

I mainly go out between the months of November and March with a little bit on the Stubble in August.

This is generally limited to perhaps once or twice a month or perhaps more where birds are a real problem for my Landowners.

This way I can always guarantee that I wont over shoot the main holding areas and will always have some sporta sthe birds wont become gun shy and move on which is what normally happens.

From the tone of some of the posts on this forum I would imagine that a lot of you would go daily if you could.

Any comments.:lol:

Cheers,

FM.

I think if you visit the same field regularly, you can overshoot it and the birds will stay away...............................for a while.

But, they will come back eventually, despite the big bags you have shot, Nature abhors a vacuum and pigeons will move in from adjacent areas.

The Guides probably know how easy (or not) it is to overshoot a field, as they probably do more shooting than most of us put together.

Shooting almost every day, for a prolonged period is exhausting and you can get quite jaded, I know I have done it.

A bit like eating strawberries every day, you would get fed up with them eventually.

It may be hard to believe, but you would. :lol:

I go out twice or three times a week and , because I have enough land, don`t find I`m over-shooting the local pigeon pool. I can usually manage to leave a field alone for a few days before revisiting the area as I`m several miles away decoying aother fields. If it goes quiet I can always get the .22 or .17 out and stalk some bunnies.

I go out almost every week throughout the year(although in winter I do quite a lot of game shooting).In summer I often go out up to 3 times a week(after work...) as pigeons feed late on the stubbles and very good bags are achievable after 5pm...

By the law I only can shoot pigeons from 1 sept - 15 jan, but in that period i go out min. 3 times a week and if possible even more. From the time I started to follow the Pigeon watch forum I invested in decoys, magnet & learned a lot . In this short periode we shoot 600-800 pigeons mostly under flightlines and maisstubble. Normally in february i go to England for some pigeon shooting on rape during day time and some roost shooting at evening.

I shoot once a week , sometimes twice if I get a day off work but tend to move to different parts of the farm and also switch from the shotgun to a bit of air rifle shooting / plinking . I am not too bothered about the size of the bags , it's nice to be able to have the option of going onto the farm and bagging a few unless the farmer has a problem with the corvids and pigeons on a particular patch , then I will shoot as many as I can for him . I also shoot every sunday down the clay club which gives you the chance of a good blast out as I tend to have 2 60 round sporting rounds and sometimes a 25 bird pro sport on top of that . Thankfully her indoors does not give me the nag about the shooting "YET" . :rolleyes:

on the farm i shoot over i only really hit them (miss them) when the farmer says he is bothered by their numbers,usually on emerging rape,laid barley or chhitting peas.i have a crack over the stubbles as he hates to see loads of woodies on his land,even if they arent doing any real crop damage.this time of year,work permitting,it would be rabbit and fox control.

dog and i much prefer a pocket full of shells and a stroll to a day sat in the hide,sweating like a fat bird in a sauna.roll on october :rolleyes: