Choice between BMW X5 or Mercedes ML270

Psyxologos

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The X5 is a great road car, it still puts a smile on my face (sub 7 secs 0-60 and goes round corners like it's on rails) and as a result is responsible for all 6 points currently on my license.

However, if I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have bought it without a f-off warranty. Indeed, the smart money would be on leasing one from new.

Had I known that the gearbox was on the way out I would have got shot of it. Yes, £3.5k for a recon box with 12 months warranty. But I had no choice; you can't sell an X5 with no working gearbox, and having got it fixed I couldn't get an extra £3.5k on the sale price just because I got it fixed. So, I am now getting what I can out of the car because the car will be up for sale and long gone 51 weeks into that 52 week warranty expiring.

The bumm3r is that at the time I was wrestling with selling it and getting the missus LV's Auto Disco TD5; low miles, lady owner, nothing wrong with it etc. He sold his Landy because he just "didn't like it" (yeah what a lesbian eh) and then 1 week later the X5 broke. Gutted.

You can pretty much buy any BMW in 4 wheel drive from new, they have the usual badge with an X adder (i.e.- 330ix, 525ix) but of course this is from new....

I would think if you put a decent enough tyre on it's cope with most usual off roading (after all it is 4 circles wrapped in rubber which touch the ground on all of them! the only real issue that seperates them is weight, ground clearence, power, and 4WD system.... the X5 will have plenty of power (around 500nm and 230hp) it will lose out on ground clearence to a disco or shogun, it isn't that different in weight and the germans know a thing or 2 about how to build a 4WD system (Audi, BM and merc)

Just my t'pence

Gixer.

I realise it is very subjective, but i was in a friends x5 the other day and thought it was terrible. It was ok on road, but felt very cheap. and off road we managed to get stuck on a small grassy incline, granted there was a small trailer on with some hedgeclippings. I personally wouldn't go near one. and think for what you say you wanted the vw toureg would be excellent, and has the benifit of not looking like a chav car.

For the new breed of 4wd's the toureg seems to be near the top. although my preferences still lie with the awesome landcruiser , both the older colorado , and the amazon's.

Someone mentioned the XC90. In total off road a few months ago there was a two year old XC90 , with the 4 litre petrol engine and lots of goodies which was sold for 11k. What a bargin for a ~ 65k new price.

At the end of the day though, it is your choice, so pick something you like.

I realise it is very subjective, but i was in a friends x5 the other day and thought it was terrible. It was ok on road, but felt very cheap. and off road we managed to get stuck on a small grassy incline, granted there was a small trailer on with some hedgeclippings. I personally wouldn't go near one. and think for what you say you wanted the vw toureg would be excellent, and has the benifit of not looking like a chav car.

For the new breed of 4wd's the toureg seems to be near the top. although my preferences still lie with the awesome landcruiser , both the older colorado , and the amazon's.

Someone mentioned the XC90. In total off road a few months ago there was a two year old XC90 , with the 4 litre petrol engine and lots of goodies which was sold for 11k. What a bargin for a ~ 65k new price.

At the end of the day though, it is your choice, so pick something you like.

Thats why landrovers are best :D

I don't think so, although I dearly love my old range rover reliability is not it's greatest point. And, for serious off road ability, the fully locking diffs front and rear of the 80 series landcruiser, or the g wagen take some beating.

Do you like the landcruiser because you can tow your caravan with it :D

said in jest, not to be taken seriously

If you want my two pence worth have you considered a Nissan Pathfinder. For the budget you got you could get a nearlly new pathfinder. I got a 57 reg with 4000 miles on the clock for nearlly half price £15 000. Ticks all the boxes for me two kids nagging wife and dog no probs in it. :D

Dai

I considered a Pathfinder after I got cold feet on the X5. I preferred the Freelander as it looked and felt better. I think fuel economy is a a tad better on the freelander too...