PCP air rifles

Ferret Master

I have been shooting a BSA lightning and a Webley Xocet for a couple of years and would like to move up to a PCP air rifle. I do not want to spend too much and have been looking at the AGS lite-w8, but with only a 50 shot capacity per charge I need more shots. I will be using the gun for hunting and target shooting. What would people recomend? :rolleyes:

Thanks but is there anything cheaper on the market suitable for all round hunting. Got to dash now! Can't reply for a while, my bro wants the computer!

It would help folk if you can give us a figure that you have in your mind. new or second hand :rolleyes:

Air Arms 200 is a good starter as are falcon but a bit more money dont rush into it keep looking ,have a go with a mates if they have one or if you go to the game fair have a good look round there and even try a few. you may get a good second hand AA300 for around £200. :rolleyes:

<_<

How about new brocock hunter. They retail at about £240.

The only place i've seen them advertised in the UK is in "airgunner" magazine under the JSramsbottoms selling section.

Cant seem to find any images of it, but heres the main specs:

-Calibre= .177 and .22

-Action= Single shot, bolt action

-O/A Length= 36.75ins

-Weight= 7.5lbs

-Trigger= Two stage

-Safety= Manual resetable

-Stock= Ambi, black synthetic (or walnut t.b.a)

-Power= 11+ft lbs

depending on what your looking for ina rifle the S200 should be at the top of your list, th only down side about it is the two piece stock <_< but once your used to it should have no problems with it at all :rolleyes:

as has been said they are around the £200 mark second hand and if your lucky you would get a complete set up for that.

New they are around £250 +£40 for silencer scope

another decent rifle out there is the S400 at around £300 new should be able to get a second hand one slightly more than the S200 aprox £250 for complete set up (rifle scope mounts and silencer)

if you buy a PCP new dont forget a silencer as they are a lot louder than any spring rifle out there without one :lol:

the S200 should give you approx 60 usable shots in .22

S400/410 should give you approx 80 shots in .22

before you settle on any one rifle i would advise you find out where your local club is and pop along to see if you can try as many different rifles as possible, as what i think might be best could be what you think is the worst!

My personal choice is not to get a brand new rifle that has recently been released, as they sometimes develop minor (and sometimes major) faults!!!! let them iron all the bugs out then buy the new rifle out :rolleyes:

hope this helps you out a little

ROB <_<

This might not fit the bill for Ferret Master, but has anybody any direct experience of the Career 707? It seems a pretty powerful rifle in its FAC spec. I'm quite interested in going back to .22LR, but this might be a good halfway house at about 60ft pounds energy. Less risk of richochet. On the other hand, it's more expensive than .22 rimfire, and probably as expenisve to run, plus, a more complex piece of machinery.

My personal choice is not to get a brand new rifle that has recently been released, as they sometimes develop minor (and sometimes major) faults!!!! let them iron all the bugs out then buy the new rifle out :rolleyes:

Seen a picture of the new Logun EAGLE.

Looks a beauty but as you said what faults could it have?

I know they get slated BUT a good all rounder is always the Logun s16. Because they get slated they are always going cheap. 2 people I know have recently bought one and neither have had any problems. The guns were second hand so it is not a case of that they are still new.

VERY nice guns, despite what the following replies will say!

Right to expect a counter point to that :rolleyes:

The S16 is cheap secondhand for a reason. They are heavily discounted new at JSR in Mk1 format because nobody is buying them. The reason nobody is buying them is because they leak badly and do not cycle well because they are badly screwed together. They can be made to work but even so you have an action that makes a silencer fairly pointless as just cycling the bolt makes enough noise. You have a gun who's rubber coating catches badly on clothing and a gun that has all the balance of a hippo doing Ballet. Also it has a reach designed for a Gibbon. I have owned one and know of several others who have owned one. Nobody I know has kept theirs longer than a few months.

Right to expect a counter point to that :rolleyes:

I have to admit and yes I do own one. The gibbon reach is exactly that, at least for my short arms. The weight is a little high also which for me affects the balance somewhat and I have recently considered removing the rubber bottle sleeve to stop it catching on my jacket!

However, the gun doesn't or at least hasn't leaked so far. I mainly use the rifle with the added Bi-pods and produce some spectacular shots. My S16 has proven to be consistent and certainly performs well against my preferred target, the Rabbit. The bolt action may feel a bit clunky but I certainly would not call it loud, in the right hands. The multi-shot is fantastic and has been used in numerous occasions to great effect i.e. the chance to take the bi-stander. I know the rifle has had a bad history and who am I to say that it hasn't. However, as a budget PCP especially secondhand, you get a complete set-up with over 200 shots per charge, true multi-shot action and very good accuracy. Logun at the very least, offer a lifetime garuntee upon a 2 yearly Logun service. If its a Rolls Royce your after you wont be looking at the lower end of PCP's and will certainly not mention that word "Budget"!

Anyway, the S16 has done me proud and will do me even more proud when I sell it to fund a Mk1 Rapid! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Axe.

Best thing to do is get yourself down the the nearest club and try some out. Or visit a shop and get a feel for them.

Everyone will have their own opinion based on whats good for them and not prehaps, the right choice for you.

Regards,

Axe.

Edited by Axe

Best thing to do is get yourself down the the nearest club and try some out. Or visit a shop and get a feel for them.

Everyone will have their own opinion based on whats good for them and not prehaps, the rights choice for you.

Regards,

Axe.

We should stop doing this axe!

Is it great minds think alike ?

Everyone will have their own opinion based on whats good for them and not prehaps, the rights choice for you.

Regards,

Axe.

We should stop doing this axe!

Is it great minds think alike ?

Probably more like....some type quicker than others... :rolleyes::rolleyes:<_<<_<:lol:

Seeya later for tonights shoot?

Regards

Axe.