sound moderators for .22 rimfire

bacchus180

I have a recently purchased ansultz .22 rimfire, when I bought it we fitted it with a parker hale moderator.. I was expecting it to be pretty silent. I'm using winchester super x subs and it still lets out a pretty audible crack. probably something like 1/3 of normal. I was hugely disappointed. the gunsmith reckons this is normal and the best I can achieve.

when I was a kid I remember a guy who worked on the farm showing me his gun working... I was convinced it was just a whisper coming from his.. does anyone know which is the best moderator around..??

thanks for your help

Guest Mr Pieman

Bacchus,

I have a Parker mod on my Anschutz and find it perfectly adequate - and use Winchester Subs. Try getting someone else to fire it while you stand 20yrds away, I'll be surprised if you hear it :rolleyes:

PP

SAK mods are great for the money, but if im honest, theres next to no difference between the sak and the parkerhale, with the sak you loose alot fo the crack, but you gain a spring noise, with the parkerhale, you have no spring noise, but you do have a muffled phphhhhtttttt

b180

I use a Parker Hale on my ruger 10/22 with eley std ammo (won't cycle winchester as the extraction claw needs upgrading) and it's works a treat ,no probs at all

For what its worth i recently tried some remmington comp sub sonic ammo up on the range and they were so inconsistant that half the batch broke the speed of sound thus making a loud crack so if you 've only recently moved up to rimfire your going to find out just how inconsistant rimfire ammo can be.Hope this is of some help to you . :rolleyes:

SAK mods are great for the money, but if im honest, theres next to no difference between the sak and the parkerhale, with the sak you loose alot fo the crack, but you gain a spring noise, with the parkerhale, you have no spring noise, but you do have a muffled phphhhhtttttt

how do you get a spring noise on a rimfire :*) :*) :*)

i think its from the light weight construction, not too sure to be honest, just saying what i hear

nick

the only sound i get from my .22 anshutz is the pin hitting the cartridge. that gives a sort of click and thats it.

Mike :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was on the range the other day and 2 fellas had moderators on their .22s.

One had a Parker Hale and the other had a PES Stainless.

Both were fantastic in reducing noise, the stainless I would say would be rust proof as well :rolleyes:

I believe the peice is very good too :rolleyes: .

The ASE Ultra is the best rimfire mod you can buy, imported by Jackson rifles and costs £60 (don't strip it!).

I have a moderator (Jackson's ) I thought it was an AU but may be the same as qouted. It is matt black and is great with Winchester subs.

Even Winchester Lazers- these you here the path of the projectile but not the power blast; still quite enough that I have been able to get a 2nd shot off b4 the quarry group fled.

I'm told this little tool is good up to .22WMR

PS some times I use CB Longs (32ft ps) although low loads, not mush more than a NI licened air rifle these shell make a bit of a high pitch if shot which I think is near an enclosed area; like out the car window or up the side of a barn.

I have a 80% deaf ear (right ear) I shoot off the left shoulder. It is aways my deaf ear that I hear this slight but sharp pitch crack in., it an iritant.

Any gun shot or loud noise will affect my deaf ear! Anyone know why?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

its probably the way the shound blast travels, if you stand directly behind someone shooting a large calibre rifle, it is much more pleasant than standing either side but still behind the shooter, some of the rifles i watch people shoot really rattle your fillings, and its quite amazing how standing behind the user stops this

i also find that when shooting in the field without deffenders that my left ear will take the brunt of the sound (i shoot right handed), this is the case with both rifles and shotguns, i can only presume the line you left ear is with the guns stock ,barrels and scope shields it from the sound, so it is felt more in your poor hearing ear

sorry about the long winded explanation there :rolleyes:

thats a good question, im not sure your allowed a self loader (semi) which isnt in .22, but im not certain, ive certainly never seen one in anything but 22mag or 22lr

That's correct.

There was some traffic about a change to allow 17 semis, but I'm pretty sure that this will not happen.

@deadeye (or anyone else who might know)

Now that Ruger 10/22's have been mentioned, i was wondering if they do the autoloading model in .17hmr (10/17):rolleyes:

SS

Not to sure ,i've not seen anything on the market in the way of a 17 semi-auto.If i was to buy a rimfire again it would be a bolt action version ,reason being is the ruger 10 shot rotory mag is inpractical and tends to jam due to cartridge deposit build up and sometimes the bullet heads get damaged when they are chambered due to the rapid reloading action of using the recoil from the previous round.

Maybe this is probably the reason there is'nt a 10/17 version of this gun as ballistic tips are more sensitive!

Anyway i find the only real advantage of a semi is when i shoot competition of which you are timed .There is no real advantage at night lamping with one of these.

Bd

I have a hearing aid for my left ear(although i very rarely use it ),when i was tested i could actually pick up frequencies/tones that my right or good hear could'nt.....................Bizzar is'nt it.

:rolleyes:<_<

Ive

There is no spring in a sako moderator they are entirely plastic internals got one on my rimmy and its excellent

:lol: go back read the post again

i didnt say it was a sako, nor did i say the spring noise is due to a spring being present

its simply my interpritation of the noise it produces.

however sako mods are fine creations, not the most effective ive seen, but very nice looking, suit heavy barrel rifles very well

:( go back read the post again

i didnt say it was a sako, nor did i say the spring noise is due to a spring being present

I dont need to go back and read the post again, I managed first time thanks. You must be getting paranoid because everyody else keeps having a go at you, I wasn't even mentioning your previous post about SAK mods, I just gave my opinion on my own Sako mod, which performs admirably with either eley subs or cci subs

There is no spring in a sako moderator they are entirely plastic internals got one on my rimmy and its excellent

The internals of a SAK moderator is made from machined alloy and then anodised

Plastic ? I think not

There are no springs, washers, bits of plastic. It is a solid piece of alloy, reduction machine turned in the middle to form a cavity and then holes drilled in the solid billet alloy sort of sides ways. I suppose this forms extra chambers to surpress the noise level

They retails at £29.95 and carry a 1 year return warranty. Most good gunshop retailer sell them and some craps ones as well. Distributed by http://www.jacksonrifles.com/ Up in the land of sweaty socks :( :lol: :thumbs: :lol:

They are really good valve for money. I have used ones with springs and washers on a 22lr and like Nick says the do sound like a "springy noise" rubber band twang. Theses are ****. Its an annoying sound. I haven't used a SAK on 22lr I have used one on my 17HMR

A 22lr rifle with no moderator using subsonic ammo kicks out about 103 dB

A 22lr rifle with no moderator using stingers ammo( fastest and loudest 22lr ammo) kicks out 119dB

A 22lr rifle with a good quality sound mod fitted with kick out about 90dB. It doesn't seem alot in the way of noise reduction looking at figures. The decibel scale is logarithmic, meaning that each unit is 10 times that of the preceding one. For example, a noise source measuring 70 dB is 10 times as loud as a source measuring 60 dB and 100 times as loud as a source reading 50 dB. I maybe wrong, but its been 20 years since I last took physics O level

If your bored have a read of the link. Its good bedtime reading :lol:

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/dB.html

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357