Discovery TD5 ES Manual

Raja Clavata

Hi all,

Previously had a Disco 3 with all the gizmos but LandRover got removed from the company scheme so now in the market for an older one; trouble is don't know much about them...

Viewing a 2001 TD5 ES Manual tomorrow; is there a standard spec on this model and if so anything I should avoid (like air suspension)?

This will be my second car and only used for hunting, fishing & shooting so not many miles but obviously needs to be reliable.

Any thoughts or pointers appreciated!

Cheers

Raja

Mike, you've probably already done your viewing, and made a decision one way or t'other. I would avoid a Disco II with air suspension. The Active Cornering Enhancement system makes huge improvements to the Disco's ride, but again it can be pretty temperamental. Walk away from the ones with sun roofs. Check the gear change from 1st to 2nd, as they are famously notchy. I have a copy of the Land Rover Owner buyers' guide to the 2002 ES model at home, if you want me to scan it in and email it to you. PM me your email address if so.

I run an '02-plate Td5 manual with coil springs all round. Faulty ABS sensors and knackered wheel bearings are the most recurrent problems that I encounter, but that Disco has an active life on a farm.

I think you will find that the ES model has all the toys including air springs at the back and ACE . Never had any problems with these features on mine ,but did have a couple of hubs go . The climate control on mine was the best I have ever had ,you could freeze meat in the car . The ACE is a must for a disco and makes them handle like a sports car .

Harnser .

You want a late face lift Series 2 Disco and the absolute base model td5 manual and no electrical extras (save for windows and locking) - as Balders has said, there is very little to go wrong - they are somewhat agricultural but on mine I too have only had abs sensors and hubs go (but that I can wear as erm wear and tear and normal use anyway).

Harnser, am I right in thinking that you have not yet driven a Lotus Exige or Ariel Atom? I have got tractors that handle better than my Disco (and our old Td5 ES with ACE fitted).

Baldrick ,

The last sports car that I drove was a 1967 TR3 and I tell you what my disco handles better than that did .

Harnser .

Traztaz, my local garage is very reasonable, so I tend not to mess around with electronic repair issues. But now you mention it, yes, I should sort the ABS sensors out myself. And yes, my Disco does a lot of work over rough terrain.

Harnser, I will have to agree with you on the '67 TR3, but may I just take the liberty of pointing out that automotive engineering has evolved somewhat since the 1960s?

Edited by Baldrick

Traztaz, my local garage is very reasonable, so I tend not to mess around with electronic repair issues. But now you mention it, yes, I should sort the ABS sensors out myself. And yes, my Disco does a lot of work over rough terrain.

Harnser, I will have to agree with you on the '67 TR3, but may I just take the liberty of pointing out that automotive engineering has evolved somewhat since the 1960s?

Well bugg@r me with the bell end of a ragmans trumpet .

Harnser .

Edited by Harnser

You guys that are having ABS prblems with them I take it are driving rough track with them too.99% of thoes problems are only crud on the end of the sensor which when cleaned away will sort it....................save a penny or two in garages ripping you off.

I was told that the ABS sensors get shagged by garages taking wheels and hubs off / apart and not putting them back on / together carefully i.e. it's not dirt, the monkeys in the garage will break them with their ham fisted ways in the event that you ask them to do anything to or near to any wheel.

Thanks guys, as it turns out I think I'll have to keep looking. This motor was advertised locally as well as on ebay and the ebay bid is now £500 more than the seller was originally asking for locally - with 5 days left to run on the auction. Worlds gone mad and all that...

RC,

The guy that services all mine and Mungs cars has one for sale - ESSEX 4x4 CENTRE

Speak to Fred Barber and tell him that I sent you.

It is an ES model, green, one owner 51000 miles and immaculate.

He told me that the car is faultless and I believe him. Ask Mung about Fred, he is embarrassingly honest and a great chap :good:

Having a landrover from a landrover trained technician with a warranty will pay you dividends long term mate :good:

Cheers

Matt

Mike, you've probably already done your viewing, and made a decision one way or t'other. I would avoid a Disco II with air suspension. The Active Cornering Enhancement system makes huge improvements to the Disco's ride, but again it can be pretty temperamental. Walk away from the ones with sun roofs. Check the gear change from 1st to 2nd, as they are famously notchy. I have a copy of the Land Rover Owner buyers' guide to the 2002 ES model at home, if you want me to scan it in and email it to you. PM me your email address if so.

I run an '02-plate Td5 manual with coil springs all round. Faulty ABS sensors and knackered wheel bearings are the most recurrent problems that I encounter, but that Disco has an active life on a farm.

I have a 52 plate S model TD5 facelift, and have removed the air suspension and put coils in all round, i also got the ACE removed and replaced with standard anti roll bars and you would not know the difference, the things are bomb proof if you look after them and maintain them correctly, they will offroad with the best of them and will pull 3 ton if required.

I'm sure it'll do everything you'll ever need.

Gixer

I have a 52 plate S model TD5 facelift, and have removed the air suspension and put coils in all round, i also got the ACE removed and replaced with standard anti roll bars and you would not know the difference, the things are bomb proof if you look after them and maintain them correctly, they will offroad with the best of them and will pull 3 ton if required.

Gixer

Blimey.

Do you know what, Fred from Essex 4x4 told me that people were getting late reg Series 2 facelifts and stripping out all the stuff that could go wrong (all the active nonsense out, and back to springs and stuff that won't break). I didn't quite believe him but I can see it make sense if you get a series 2 as a car to keep.

Gixer, out of interest what was the damage on reseting the active / electronic nonsense and exactly what did you have done? Also was there anything else you wish you had done / not done.

Gixer

They'll pull significantly more than 3 tonnes if required (off the public highway, of course).

Spoke to Fred (seemed like top bloke by the way) - it's an auto with dual sunroofs and more than I can justify for a shooting wagon anyway.

Plan now on hold, I had to order a new company car today and was going to down-grade from the SMAX to a Fiesta - just for commuting to work and back. The disco would have been the weekend / evening motor. Plumped for a Mondeo Titanium X Sport (or something like that).

Plan B involves bribing one of my JLR employee friends to let me take one of their Jag / Land Rover allocation and get a new Disco 4 in exchange for one of my Ford allocation. We lost the JLR allocation when Ford sold to Tata and it seems like those guys might soon lose their Ford allocation. Not many of them are in a position to have a Jag and a LandRover - even with the very competitive company scheme. Range Rover Sport HSE is £240 per month - Disco 4 a bit less - you just pay for the fuel and order a new one after 4000 miles. Because of the OEM status and the fact that it's a cost neutral "lease" scheme there is no tax burden either. If only Ford made a decent 4x4; the Ranger was too agricultural and the Kuga was just, well, a Kuga...

If that fails then I'll be back in the market for an older disco when it's time to order a new company motor - won't be too long.

They'll pull significantly more than 3 tonnes if required (off the public highway, of course).

Trust when i say you wouldn't want to pull any more than 3 ton on the public roads, i put a 2 ton excavator and a a plant trailer on mine a little while ago and stopping it was interesting!!! although getting going isn't a problem...

Mungler - all they do to get rid of the ACE is fit the standard anti roll bars (as per 200/300 tdi's), you wouldn't even know it had been done.....not that expensive either...

Trust when i say you wouldn't want to pull any more than 3 ton on the public roads, i put a 2 ton excavator and a a plant trailer on mine a little while ago and stopping it was interesting!!! although getting going isn't a problem...

I used the farm Td5 to pull a stricken 350hp tractor and unladen grain trailer off a B-road this summer (gearbox failure on tractor). I reckon that came in above 18 tonnes, and the Disco shifted it with relative ease. One of the Td5 Defenders is used to tow combine headers around our private tracks, and that's a significant weight.

All that looks weedy compared to a VW Touareg towing a Boeing 747 though!

to be honest though most 4x4's will pull an awful lot if you bung them in 4x4 and low range the torque available is immense, I know I've pulled out a few 7.5t horse lorries from mud in my L200 which bearing in mind the lack of weight on the back shouldn't be that easy. I will drop in that the clutch and gearbox on it tends to work all the time <_<

I used the farm Td5 to pull a stricken 350hp tractor and unladen grain trailer off a B-road this summer (gearbox failure on tractor). I reckon that came in above 18 tonnes, and the Disco shifted it with relative ease. One of the Td5 Defenders is used to tow combine headers around our private tracks, and that's a significant weight.

All that looks weedy compared to a VW Touareg towing a Boeing 747 though!

I would think that was in excess of 25 tonnes? ...can you imagine trying to stop that though <_<:hmm:

As alex said they have an amazing amount of torque in low box....wonder what wieght it would take before it just wouldn't pull it?

I would think that was in excess of 25 tonnes? ...can you imagine trying to stop that though <_<:hmm:

As alex said they have an amazing amount of torque in low box....wonder what wieght it would take before it just wouldn't pull it?

It wasn't as heavy as that - it was a JD 8530 and a 10t trailer. If I wanted a real challenge I'd try to tow a Case Quadtrac with laden chaser bin. I reckon that in low range with good traction, you could move at least 100t if it was a wheeled load.

The way to test it is to do a bollard pull test, as used to rate the output on tugboats.

low range to me usually feels like it'll pull it or break if you've good traction I'm never sure its a good idea on a vehicle you pay for repairs on :hmm:

Make sure you get someone to film it and post it on youtube Baldrick i'd love to see you do it or blow up in style whichever results <_<