snorkeling

biakalblaster

after very nearly drowning my LC90 a couple weeks ago in floods around Elgin - I drove along a road for 1km which had 50cm deep water, and last 5m of the flood was 105cm.... I decided to fit a snorkel, as this is the 2nd near miss in the last couple of years.

yes i could have sat in the queue on main road for 30mins to avoid the flood, but thats no the point!

so fitted a Safari snorkel at the weekend - scary drilling holes in the body work!

post-3568-1253608512.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

you must also fit high breather tubes to any breather outlets on your front and rear ends,gearbox,transfer box and steering box,deep water also has an efect on all your uj,s,brakes ball joints,and even if you really need a snorkle that high,what are you going to do when the water gets in contact with the ht side of the ignition? yes,swim,plus you starter,alternator etc will all fill up with muddy water and shortly need replacing,beleave me,wait in the que,same a bunch of money.

you must also fit high breather tubes to any breather outlets on your front and rear ends,gearbox,transfer box and steering box,deep water also has an efect on all your uj,s,brakes ball joints,and even if you really need a snorkle that high,what are you going to do when the water gets in contact with the ht side of the ignition? yes,swim,plus you starter,alternator etc will all fill up with muddy water and shortly need replacing,beleave me,wait in the que,same a bunch of money.

Is it not a diesel - eliminating the ignition problem? I've never been deep wading (above standard intake), but have done plenty of deep river crossings and the brakes don't suffer, you just need to 'dry off' drum brakes. UJs, ball joints and CVs should be sealed - deep in water would be no different from very muddy/wet/dusty conditions for them.

OK a lot of muddy water might put a bit of wear on the starter motor and alternator, but they should have drain holes. And if this sin't regular - like the odd annual flood, then it won't be the limiting factor on the life of those parts.

Anyway, why have a go - it's not hurting you...

As an aside, many people fit snorkles for driving in dusty conditions (like all dirt roads when it hasn't just rained) because the air is cleaner up high than down at regular intake level. In fact most 4wds used in rural Aurtalia have them for this purpose. So I say good on you biakalblaster, they're a good addition to any vehicle that will see more than just bitumen.

Here's a pic of my Aussie 4wd, a Landcruiser HJ47. Considered by people with a rounded experience of 4wds cars to be the toughest vehicle ever made. It has a slightly raised air intake and oversize air filter.

cruiser0016.jpg

Edited by harrygrey382

car will be fine in flood water, really muddy water can be a problem but thats the mud that causes the starter alt issues, you can extend the breathers for gearbox, transfercase, and axles if your doing alot of wadeing but the engine is the big one. manual gearboxs, transfercases and axles will live with water in them for a long time aslong as the water doesnt float out all the oil. check the oil for water at servicing. ujs will want greasing more regular. unless your doing lots of bonnet deep water i wouldnt worry about it, especialy on a toyota.

modern petrol engines with coil on plug dont suffer like the older distributer engines in water, pretty much as good as a diesel in water now.

When I was at the Landrover showroom a wee while ago, trying to convince my girlfriend that a Defender is a good and practical vehicle, she burst into uncontrollable, hysterical laughter because one of them had "a totally gay chimney" attached.

Sell girlfriend, buy Defender. Sorted!

Back O/T, a manual "off" switch (with warning light) for the fan can be useful when wading.

you can only switch the fan off if its electric, this will stop water being flicked onto the distributer on a petrol engine killing the ignition. 90% of 4x4s have an engine driven fan that cant be switched off unless you remove the belt that drives it. if your diesel dont worry about it.

• 3 weeks later...