Hidden Past!

tim123

Just used the MY TEXT CHECK service to the history of a Land Rover i'm due to be putting a deposit on. Came back as it had been stolen in June 2007, and that the insurance company were the current owners. Just text the guy asking him why he did not mention anything to do with this, and he rung me back saying it had been stolen along time ago, and as far as he knows he's the owner, and there is no problem with this.

Personally i don't count 2 years ago as a long time ago, me thinks there could be something fishy going on here, opinions please!

If it is the same car it would not still be owned by insurance company after 2 year,it would have went to salvage long ago.Did you check vin plate and engine number?Ask the bloke who he was insured with when it was nicked and give them a ring and ask if they have a claim on this car.They may not tell you but if they have, they might.

You would be a right plum if you bought that car knowing what you know now . Inform the insurance company were the car is and walk away . If the car is hooky it will proberly be moved on to another crooked dealer . Well done for checking it out .

It could be classed stolen but recovered . I still wouldnt buy it .

HARNSER.

Edited by Harnser

two years is a long time, go and see it, check the vin number and registration plate against the V5. The V5 should be in his name its not that unusual for HPI to be wrong and not necessarily worth walking away when a bit of leg work could get you a cheap motor. Options are the computers wrong, or that it was stolen and recovered and he bought it back or simply that its a nicked vehicle. However if its the latter then its unusual for it to show up that easily they usually change the identity properly

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up walking away and have brought a 2.8 manual swb pajero now. The car was stolen/recovered which in its self isn't as bad as I first thought. But it is something that stays with the car throughout it's life and it makes it hard to sell on for decent money. I change my car quite alot, in the last 12 months I've had 13 different cars and I know how hard it is to sell a car when it has a flaw like this.

Thanks everyone for your input.