Normal for Norfolk

amateur

Yep, that be the one :yes:

Somewhere in Norfolk I have family who are apparently quite big in the fruit and veg game. Got invited to fish one of their lakes once but never did follow it up. IIRC they were also into shooting and also had a fair bit of land - perhaps I need to make some fresh enquiries ...

RAJA ,

Just for the record ,the upper stretches of the wensum are going to have special treatment funded by the government to preserve the uniqueness of this fabulous fishery . Lots of massive chub have been caught this year with lots of good grayling .

No I dont think you essex boys will want to come to sleepy old Norfolk and catch our fish .

Harnser

Yep, that be the one <_<

Somewhere in Norfolk I have family who are apparently quite big in the fruit and veg game. Got invited to fish one of their lakes once but never did follow it up. IIRC they were also into shooting and also had a fair bit of land - perhaps I need to make some fresh enquiries ...

That would be the 'McCarthys' largest fruit and veg wholesalers in East Anglia. Yes they do shoot too, many a customer has had a invite on one of their days.

I have mixed loyalties as I originate from a sh***hole called Wickford (a suburb of Basildon now) but have lived in Norfolk for 25 years + but have a granddaughter on Mersea and Sister at Tollesbury. I can remember first moving to Diss when the Diss Express (local paper) headline was 'crimewave hits Diss, crash helmet stolen from motorbike' and farmers used to come into town on market day on their tractors. Sadly all changed now.

RAJA ,

Just for the record ,the upper stretches of the wensum are going to have special treatment funded by the government to preserve the uniqueness of this fabulous fishery . Lots of massive chub have been caught this year with lots of good grayling .

No I dont think you essex boys will want to come to sleepy old Norfolk and catch our fish .

Harnser

there are/were some huge chub and barbel in the wensum, unfortunately the 20lb+ barbel from the lyng/sparham area was ottered last year, a friend of mine was the first to catch it over 20, i had a 7lb chub last day of last season from a bit lower down, i had a look along the same stretch in june and found 3 dead chub on the bank 2 of which would have gone over 6lb, all killed by the ******* otters, i did however see a few still swimming, the river is so low and slow at the moment, probably as bad as ive ever seen it, it really needs some rain, not really worth them essex boys coming up.

i was a member of NACA from the start until about 6 years ago, the committee and their shadey dealings just got to be too much so i jacked it in,

mikee

Percieved wisdom down here is that Norfolk is flat (or so I was told once by someone who claimed to have an uncle who had been there by accident many years ago). I am sure we have equal numbers of hairy toothed rellies here in the remote shires, but at least we have hills to sit on. How else can you admire the occasional tramlining error in ones neighbours drilling, or have a little warm glow when you see that the latest act of vandalism by the little green space alien crop circle creators has for once appeared on someone elses field....

Now I am sure that our eastern counties friends are happy with their little undulations, but they know no different. Perhaps that is why they all have such massive tractors as it is the only way to get a view?

Percieved wisdom down here is that Norfolk is flat (or so I was told once by someone who claimed to have an uncle who had been there by accident many years ago). I am sure we have equal numbers of hairy toothed rellies here in the remote shires, but at least we have hills to sit on. How else can you admire the occasional tramlining error in ones neighbours drilling, or have a little warm glow when you see that the latest act of vandalism by the little green space alien crop circle creators has for once appeared on someone elses field....

Now I am sure that our eastern counties friends are happy with their little undulations, but they know no different. Perhaps that is why they all have such massive tractors as it is the only way to get a view?

Lapwing, you don't have tractor envy, do you? The lack of undulation is indeed a problem, but any self-respecting Norfolk barley baron owns a castle with multiple turrets, from which one can view one's neighbours' shoddy drilling and crop circles. Or is that just a myth perpectuated by embittered Farmers Weekly contibutors from the West Country?

Y ou obviously dont know Norfolk very well . We have sand dunes on some of the beaches that are known to be 12 feet high and are a bit scary to climb without the proper skills and equipment . The local mountain rescue team are always rescuing stupid people from these dunes who insist in climbing them in bad weather .

Harnser .

Oh dear. I seem to have inadvertently touched a raw nerve.

First may I remind our fenland dwelling friends of the old adage that "size isn't everything" and anyway maybe over the next couple of ice ages you might get lucky and score more than muddy sediment & detritus.

I thought sand dunes were to be found in the western desert Harnser? Not having a coast here I will have to take your word for it; I presume it is the incomers who have problems as the aforementioned inter-digital webbing must help with traction on those nasty steep inclines.

Now Baldrick, it appears a little history lesson is in order: why do you think our illustrious forebears created such structures as Stonehenge, Woodhenge, and Avebury to name but a few of the better known ones? Surprisingly enough we can occasionally grow fine malting barley over here (it is just the harvesting of it in the rain without loosing all germination that is the challenge); evidently the archaeologists are a little narrow minded and have not realised that the desire to look over ones neighbours hedges is as old as agriculture itself, and in the days before the urge to put ones hard earned cash into large items of shiny agricultural toys one had to make do with the odd henge. Now I do not dispute that your average quadtrac has probably got a better sound system, but I doubt it will be more than a rusty chinese built washing machine in fifty years time, let alone a few millenia.

Just for the record I no longer take the Farmers Weekly; all those colour classified ads with "£poa" got so depressing. Took to writing to the "Times" instead until it became a tabloid (no good for wrapping up animal entrails any more); now I just wander around the vale mumbling incoherently to myself and going out ploughing after dark when my little tractor looks just as grand as the big boys by the time you switch on all the work lights.

Lapwing, I am not a Fenlander - I have the full complement of chromosomes necessary to determine me as an evolved human being. Questionable genetics aside, nobody (save the usual solstice-worshipping hippies) is interested in your henges. We all know that henges were erected solely to be a tourist attraction. They are just a diversion from the miserable weather you lot endure.

I do agree with you (and badshot) about the poor quality of FW. I read it only for the opinion columns, and the market information. The rest is total dross.

And there's no shame in midnight ploughing. My neighbour often takes his little New Holland out for nocturnal cultivation work, having climbed into the bottom of a bottle of claret earlier that evening - his furrows aren't the straightest I've seen, even when he's sober. We've had so little rain over here that most ploughing, moleing and sub-soiling has all been pretty much futile.

Lapwing, I am not a Fenlander - I have the full complement of chromosomes necessary to determine me as an evolved human being. Questionable genetics aside, nobody (save the usual solstice-worshipping hippies) is interested in your henges. We all know that henges were erected solely to be a tourist attraction. They are just a diversion from the miserable weather you lot endure.

I do agree with you (and badshot) about the poor quality of FW. I read it only for the opinion columns, and the market information. The rest is total dross.

And there's no shame in midnight ploughing. My neighbour often takes his little New Holland out for nocturnal cultivation work, having climbed into the bottom of a bottle of claret earlier that evening - his furrows aren't the straightest I've seen, even when he's sober. We've had so little rain over here that most ploughing, moleing and sub-soiling has all been pretty much futile.

Surely not sour grapes Baldrick? I can see you are still in denial about your ancestors, but giving away trade secrets about the henges on a public forum will not endear you to the grockle milking industry. Just because your illustrious predecessors made a slight miscalculation regarding the high tide mark when siting "Seahenge" within sight of Harnsers sand dunes is no reason to sulk about ours.

Midnight drilling now tricky for us technophobes without satnav/autosteer as too dusty to see the drill in the lights. Don't think me ungrateful for the sun at last, but even we could do with a drop of rain now!

I am not sulking about your blasted henges, Lapwing, and I don't need the backing of the grockle-milking industry in the West Country. Nor would you if you had wonderful things like us East Anglian types had (tourists flocking to see our noble architecture and beaches, and sugar-beet quota paying for our obscenely large tractors)!

OK, so the PW community have established that Norfolk is a great place for sugar-beet, beer, fishing, shooting and massive combine harvesters - but does the advert stack up?

Apart from Lotus (now no longer at the cutting edge of car design) - is there anything else in Norfolk that could be called "high tech"?

Edited by amateur

Erm, there's nothing else. Just vast expanses of farmland interspersed with rural communities of charming inbreds, and the odd conurbation stuffed with repulsive chavs and Aviva employees.

I could try to blag that the John Innes Centre (one of the leading plant/biological science establishments in the northern hemisphere) is high tech, but that truly is clutching at straws. How about Bernard Matthews PLC, doing more for research into avian flu, 'food' unfit for human consumption and questionable marketing strategies?

OK, so the PW community have established that Norfolk is a great place for sugar-beet, beer, fishing, shooting and massive combine harvesters - but does the advert stack up?

Apart from Lotus (now no longer at the cutting edge of car design) - is there anything else in Norfolk that could be called "high tech"?

According to most people from Norfolk the internal combustion engine and plastic milk cartons are HIGH TECH :good:

with all the items listed, do we actually need much more, a few more 2 legged women might be nice as them 3 legged ones take some catching :good:

Lotus is still at the cutting edge of motor developement, i believe Lotus Engineering, the R&D branch is actually a larger concern than the manufacturing side, doing design and research work for a huge number of car firms from jag to saab, i'm not an expert on lotus but do have several friends that work for the research side.

mikee