Yamaha FS1E

pavman

This one is very similar to my fizzy, great memories of that little bike. My dad bought it for me as a suprise but I

had to wait around 6 months before I was old enough to ride it, I used to spend nearly every night in the garage

cleaning and polishing that little bike.

fs1efizzy.jpg

That brings back some very fond memories of the late 70's, I never had a fs1e but some of my mates did, they also had ap50's, garellis, puch jps.

I had the 4 speed ss50 the one with drum brakes, these were always considered faster than the disc braked 5 speed model, it cost £69 from my local dealer and was painted black with go faster white stripes, that bike used to go all over the country with no problems at all, 50p would fill the tank and last for weeks, insurance was £6.00 a year,can't remember what road fund licence was in those days.

I can remember mine once did an indicated 55mph on the speedo with my girlfriend on the back, this was after i had had it repaired by an engineer who knew a bit about tuning, it had a little grp nosecone on so you could tuck behind it and get another 2mph, the carb was reversed to face forwards to give some form of ram air effect to the carb, and was fitted with some sort of K+N airfilter, and a HI level reverse cone mega exhaust all jetted to suit.

God i loved that bike and it was way faster than all the fs1e's in Newark, and was forever being challenged to race.

At a recent bike show in Exeter they had quite a good line up of old pre 80's peds, these caused more excitement than custom bikes costing £30--40,000

Typical anoraks, stood there going on about how the bolt on the alternator casting should have been xyz material, or slightlt different colour, get a life you saddos, appreciate them for what they are, nicely restored items of a misspent youth.

Edited by wingnut