BASS

webber

I am a member of a very loose, and highly abusive group of sea anglers, known as the Park Point Plonckers. You have to be a ploncker to fish at Park Point.

The last time that Bass were known to be caught of this mark was around 15 years ago. The first one being landed by my then, young son, on a brand new rod, reel etc with his first cast. This really peed on my brother in laws chips, who was also fishing with us, as he had been trying for about 20 years, with no luck.

So on Sunday afternoons tide, two plonckers set off through the woods towards Park Point, amidst much speculation as to what size the flatties may be, and joked that with the warm weather, the Bass may come in!

My first and only bite was a 2Lb. Bass, my mates only bite was a small flounder, he was gutted, as once one Bass had been caught we expected more.

In my haste to get a photo for Plonckers Paper, our monthly news letter, I managed to launch my mobile telephone case into the sea, bloody Bass!

It was a glorious afternoon, and a marvelous weekend, I dont think that they come any better.

webber

They, or should I say IT, certainly did.

I just hope that I dont have to wait another 10 to 15 years to catch another!

Got a boat trip organised for next Sunday out of Barrow. Now a boat load of plonckers should be a sight to see.

webber

They, or should I say IT, certainly did.

I just hope that I dont have to wait another 10 to 15 years to catch another!

Got a boat trip organised for next Sunday out of Barrow. Now a boat load of plonckers should be a sight to see.

webber

Barrow in Furness?

• 2 weeks later...

I fished a 5pm high tide today.

Started about 3.45 and fished through to 5.30.

The mackerel were obliging and I caught about 50, from 25 to 70 yards out.

On four feathers, I caught mostly ones and twos, but did have a couple of full strings.

When I had enough, I used a light spinning rod and a jelly worm and caught 5 bass between 2-3 lbs.

One I kept and the other four I returned.

I had noticed a chap near me (there weren't many people fishing) catch a bass on his feathers.

The water was as clear as I have seen it all year.

I fished about half way along, between the Imperial Hotel and what was, The Little Chef (its now :D?? Diner).

I have heard that the Folkestone beach in front of the Market/Fairground is also fishing well for mackerel and bass, all on lures, nothing on bait.

Be warned that Sandgate High Street near the Saga building is closed and there is a long diversion.

If you go to Hythe, don't go through Folkestone. ???

Thanks for that mate, i think i will go tomorrow, just brought myself some spinning gear so i shall have ago at the bass on the top of the tide or just turning.

The wife will tell me to take the kid's with me aswell to get them out of her hair, i cant get an hours peace to my bloody self.......

I will go along the M20 i think. ???:D

I shall have to meet you down there sometime..

dogsnuts, just about every bloke fishing there at the weekend, has a couple of children tied to his rod rests, I'd never be able to spot you. ???:D :(

The high tides on Saturday are 6.55 am and 7.15 pm at Folkestone (same for Hythe).

I have never tried for mackerel over the low tide mark, so I don't know what it will be like during the middle of the day.

It would certainly be worth fishing from 4pm onwards.

Here is a good free online tide table site.

Don't forget to add an hour.

http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide/EasyT...spx?PortID=0088

Cranfield

I went to hythe yesterday and i have never seen so many mackerel in my life, they were jumping out of the water 4ft in front of me, caught 30 then went to the spinning gear and started catching them on a spinner, did try for bass with a bass assassin but no luck, what type of lure was you using, will be going there again sometime this or next week.

dogsnuts, well done on the mackerel, I am quite relieved you caught some.

I caught my bass on a jelly worm, about 6 inches long, fished slowly on a 6ft trace.

If the mackerel are too thick, they will get to the lure before the bass, but you may not hook them, just get loads of taps and tugs, as they hit the lure short.

I am going down for tomorrow mornings high tide. :o