Poisonous plants

pavman

Guys,

Just wanted to share this:-

I have just come back from hols and in my absence my parents looked after my dogs. They went to the run at midday on day 10 after the morning feed and exorcise to find my 4 month pup lying in vomit and completely at a loss of all senses in the space of the 4 hours she had been alone.

She was rushed to the vets and after treatment and investigation they established she had eaten a small amount of common BINDWEED that had sprung up at the side of the run and grown through the wire mesh.

Thankfully she is now well, and I dread to think what may have happened! We all know dogs nibble grass but I would like to urge you all to check for this common weed at home/areas you may use. The weed contains a powerful drug that increases heart rate and causes internal bleeding in a very short time frame, IT WILL KILL if not treated ASAP.

pavman

I have found more growing in my boarders; it’s an ivy like vine with white bell shaped flowers. Its sends out tendrils under the ground and grows up any suitable host plant or framework like fences or sheds.

I checked with the garden centre people and they said the only way to get rid of it is to treat with a weed killer that goes back to the root system (which can be a long way off) basically spray the leaves with a suitable total weed killer, if necessary isolate the area with a temporary fence to keep animals off until the plant has withered and died, I am using a roll of builders plastic mesh safety fence which is very cheap and secured with canes easily.

If you try to pull the weed out, it normally breaks off and leaves roots that will grow again (very fast)

I feel sure all our dogs eat grass from time to time and chew stick and the like, I think young labs are more prone to test and taste just about anything that comes within range, so guys please keep an eye on your pups through the summer months as this is when the bindweed is most prevalent.

pavman