Cartridge Safety

jpw99

Here are a few to tax your knowledge banks :rolleyes:

Can carts become dangerous with old age, getting a soaking in a belt and left for days,weeks etc., being stored in a bag and possibly deforming the ones at the bottom of the pile or should they be kept in their boxes in first class condition until required in the gun?

Yes i know i tend to ask the odd serious safety question from time to time but i just like to keep you on your toes :rolleyes:<_<

Thanks in advance

Jim the Geordie

sorry for any delay in answering Jim , im sure others have differing answers but my 2 cents worth , any damaged or deformed carts can be a hazzard ,think about this for a second ,the round or cartridge is an explosive device regardless of its surroundings ,therefore a hazzard and must/should be handled accordingly , the most dangerous part is be the primer ,if you actualy look at any munitions factory ,the most controlled enviroment there is the manufacture of the primer itself , i havent had the missfortune myself but know of guys reloading who have set off primers (dropping or banging them ,forcing the reloader priming stage and so on ) .

Back in the spring at a shoot i attended , Ducks Unlimited Canada , a shooter on my squad decided the rounds that didn't fire in his Berreta wernt worthy of safe disposal ,so just threw them on the ground around the empty case/hull area ,when i quieried his actions his reply was "well what do you want me to do with them " :rolleyes: i pointed out that the trap boys/girls would be around after the shoot cleaning up and could quite easily have an accident with unfired shells, result he took them away to the club house for disposal :rolleyes: .

in my opinion ,you cannot be to careful ,if in dout dispose of safely , any deformed shells would require you to force them into the chamber ,ask yourself this, is my gun worth more than the 50 cents shell.

nothing wrong with saftey questions , id like to see more

Martin

Thanks for that lads :) I guess my instincts were right - Keep em dry and keep em in good order, regard each cart as a potential bomb, and live a long and healthy life. I do remember a long while back, when i first got my cert - i pulled the trigger and the pin did not penetrate enough to fire the cart, i took it out of the gun and set it aside (oh no man :D:P:P ) to ask one of my experienced friends how they would make it safe. While it was in my pocket i was expecting it to go off at any time :P:shoot: . Forgot about it until i got home and then asked my experienced driving companion about it. "you silly sod" he said " you should have just tried to fire it again". I couldn't fire it now so i ended up getting the stanley and gingerly cutting it open to make it safe. Wheww - a lesson learnt :lol::lol:

Thanks yet again Martin - live a long,safe and healthy life man :thumbs:

Cheers

Jim the geordie