1st duck....

myzeneye

guys i went on my first duck shoot tonight.... bagged me two beauties...

ive plucked and prepped them ready for cooking tomorrow...

now, ingredients is what im short on. i really like the duck in pancakes with hoi sin from the chippy so wouldnt mind trying that....

ive looked at a few threads on here and the list of ingredients are long and im wondering weather i'll get them all from my local asda ?

hahaha ,the only chinese type spice i have at home is 5 spice.... i dont even know whats in the 5 spice mix!! hahaha(useless i know) :sneaky2: willthis substitute any of the ingredients on my shopping list or have i got ogo the whole hog ?

im not the worlds best cook but i want to make my first duck a good'un...

any help and advice is welcome guys and gals... :lol:

If it were me.... and I've eaten alot of wild ducks over the years... I cook ducks with only salt, pepper and maybe a bit of celery and apple in the cavity HOT and FAST. 450 degrees, and only about 30 minutes for mallards, maybe 20 for teal, widgeon somewhere inbetween. If the duck is going to taste good , it will be wonderful this way, served rare. The taste varies of course depending on what the ducks have been eating. Some can be strong, but you can usually tell that before you cook them. If they smell strong or fishy after you clean them, then do whatever you want to hide the taste.

Most of our ducks in America get onto the local grain crop after arriving, and in California they are largely rice fed. Sort of like a feedlot for ducks. Birds from a marsh can be great or gamey. If they are damey, most of the strong taste is in the fat.

Good luck.

Pete

cheers guys....

henry, yes, after looking at the 5 spice today, its ingredients are star anis, dried onion, salt pepper,sugar,dried garlic, black pepper, fennel, ginger, cassia, cloves.....

so, i think it should work, maybe not as well as fresh ingredients, but for an ameteur it should be ok i guess....

now then, dont laugh.... how do i use the powder to create a marinade ? to i just sprinkle it over the duck or mix it with some olive oil to make a paste etc....

:lol:

well, i mixed the 5 spice with some oil and pasted it all over the duck, smells lovely and certainly looks so far so good.....

when i get a duck from costco, it comes in a metal tray and looks similar to how mine looks now.... however, i dont have to steam and fry the bought bird, i just roast it in the oven for around 40 mins......

would roasting my bird give me the same result or am i best to follow the steaming and frying route....

im off to get some hoi sin and pancakes...... cnat wait....oh and of course, some beers !!

i could get used to this. :lol:

well, as i expected...our culturally un-diverse branch of asda dont stock much of the said ingredients, not even the thin chinese pancakes................. doh !!!

so ive took a different approach as reccomended by my mate gonnashootawabbit.......

the ducks in the oven now and im waiting in readiness with a packet of blue dragon's oyster and spring onion sauce, some ready wok noodles and a mange tout/butternut squash stir fry mix....

result: thats was well tasty. ive impressed myself there ! the duck itself tasted lovely, but the texture was not as "?shreadable?" as normal... but not chewy or tough or anything... perhaps i slightly over did it ? i was just adamant it stayed in the oven till the juices ran clear....

should i have done it breast up or down to start etc :lol:

Edited by myzeneye