Quick Pigeon Pie

danccooke

Ok I am not professing to this being perfect but we enjoyed it,

Ingredients:

Pigeon Breast off the bone Diced quite small (used three pigeons/6 breasts)

Packet of Bacon (smoked if you like)

Some Black Pudding,

1 Red Onion

1 Packet of Chestnut Mushrooms.

2 cloves of Garlic.

2 Table spoons of Crème Fraiche

pint of stock (I used lamb, but chicken would do)

thickening agent (I just used flour)

Filo Pastry sheets.

Method (in my madness)

Take a pie dish and line with Filo pastry and put in a pre heated oven till it is crispy (if you have pastry beads, pasta or whatever to hold its shape while cooking ok but I didn't bother)

While the pastry is cooking in the pie dish, heat a couple of spoons of olive oil in a frying pan till hot, chuck in the onion and start to cook, try not to make it go brown. (5 mins ish)

Throw in the chopped up mushrooms (chopped quite finely)

leave to cook down a bit (another 5 mins or so)

thrown in the bacon Diced up. keep tossing it all about in a Chef like manner for about 5 mins

(check the pastry)

add a little more oil if needed (I added a little bit of toasted sesame seed oil, it goes really nice with the mushrooms)

crumble up the black pudding and put into the frying pan. carry on being a ***** again for about 5 mins.

The mushrooms should be cooking down nicely now and everything starting to look a little cooked.

Throw in the diced pigeon you don't want to overcook the pigeon at this point so again about, yes you've guessed it about 5 mins) add the stock let it simmer add the crème fraiche and thicken as required to a sort of stroganoff consistency.

Check to see if it needs seasoning, the black pud and bacon might be salty enough but... each to their own)

take out the pastry from the oven, hopefully it isn't ******.

Pour the contents of frying pan into the pastry casing, (this is where you realise the frying pan is much larger than the pastry case you've made) then cover with more filo pastry, brush with an egg stab a couple of holes in the top, chuck in the oven until the pastry is golden crispy.

serve with seasonal veg.