If it aint working MOVE

fuzrat

Was out on the rape today. Got there nice and early, spied a likely spot where I walked 20 or so off. Under a known flightline with the wind at my back and it looked pretty much perfect.

Out came all the toys, Stealth hide draped with some local old mans beard and dead grass to help it blend in (looked a treat, should have taken a pic), magnet whirling away, flapper and 2 dozen shells on homemade springs.

3 hours later, not a shot :hmm: over the 3 hours flapper came in, still no joy. Magnet in, nothing. Back out again with both then 1 at a time. Dead as a dodo. A few were floating towards me but veering off about 150 yrds out. Not spooked "lets get the hell out of here", just "dont really fancy going over there"

Packed all the gear up and and decided to just have a stand around in the wood further up the field. drove the truck round and parked up and thought "what the hell I'll take a dozen deeks with me"

Chucked the deeks out in a rough U just balanced on top of the rape, hunkered down in the dry drainage ditch running up the side of the wood after chucking some dead branches and Ivy fallen from the trees in front of me.

5 mins later, pigeon comes dive bombing in and lands right in the middle of the pattern before I have a chance to get the gun up. Despatched on the deck. Kept up nice and steady for an hour or so then suddenly stopped.

Damn wind had done nearly a 180 :oops: nipped out and turned all the deeks round into the wind again and lo and behold in they come again.

Finished up with 8 shot for 19 carts (only 6 picked :angry: 2 hit like a hammer and carried on into the wood a bit farther up, had a walk up expecting to find them but not a sign. should have taken the dog :yes: )

Just goes to show all the toys in the world wont work if you're not in the right spot and you can have a great afternoons sport with just a handful of deeks and some dead branches dug out of the wood for a hide :good:

Fuzrat