homemade larsen springs

RABID_DOGG

hi guys

i was wondering if any one has made or knows how to make larsen springs what tools i will need i want to make a load of larsen trap over the winter just to keep me busy but dont want to spend lots doing it

Edited by RABID_DOGG

Making the trap is the easy part the springs have be high tensile steel so it goes back to is original shape very hard to acheive without the right equipment i looked into having some made and the cheapest i could have bought them was £1;25 per pair we made our larson traps out of weldmesh i can post some pictures if you need any

Mark :good:

First off, let me be upfront with this post and tell you that I am John from Fourteenacre. :yp: :lol: This is my forum user from a very long time ago and, as it's not obvious, I feel it's only right that I should 'declare an interest'. :good:

Making springs sounds like a skill in it's own right, but this website looks like a good place to start.

http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/intro.html

You need to be realistic that any springs you make yourself are almost certainly not going to last as long as commercially made ones and will need replacing more frequently. But it's a great idea to make the whole thing from scratch. I would be very interested to see how your whole project turns out.

The link that gyp posted (thank you) is to our small cage springs, suitable for cage traps and mesh Larsens. They probably would support the weight of a wooden Larsen door but only if you used a pair on each door.

The shop also contains 'larsen Springs' which are the larger heavier springs intended for use on the wooden traps with a pair doing BOTH doors.

Just wanted to clear that up so that no one buys the wrong thing by mistake and is disappointed.

Cheers

John

Edited by 2nd Barrel