Vermin shooters app!

RangerDave

You can find an app for just about anything these days, and a quick and simple one for logging your shooting trips and kills seems like a logical next step to update your shooting kit!

I have looked at many on the Google play site, as I have a Galaxy SIII which is great, and thought I'd found a suitable app that was easy to use, but then came the bombshell!!

The ActInNature Hunting app is listed as free and worked fairly well....for 10 log entries! To use it further you need to buy an annual subscription for 9.99 euros!!

I'm sorry, but that's a bit steep for a diary, especially as it is not quite there yet to make it worth the money.

Disappointed, I continued my search, and came accross iHunt Journal and eventually bought it for the one off price of £3.99

It's not quite as good, you can only have one photo attached to each entry, and navigating the menu is not so intuitive, buy I guess you get what you pay for!

My ideal Shooters Journal would consist of a simple layout that can be customized by the user, that way certain things can be omitted to keep the interface clean.

Here is a my wish list;

Time/date stamp. Auto if you remember to start the app, manual if you forget (and lets face it, most of us will!)

Title of hunt.

Weather conditions, temperature, wind direction etc. either auto list or manual. Most smartphones monitor this already.

Place, your permissions, selected from drop down user created menu.

Quarry type, selected from drop down user created menu. Can also be selected multiple times on same hunt entry (lets face it, we often shoot a mixed bag!)

Weapons, selected from drop down user created menu.

Ammo used, selected from drop down user created menu.

Map, saved tile from Google maps or other with your exact shooting position marked, either automatically with GPS enabled (GPS only enabled when map/camera activated) or manually with an icon/pin. Many apps already have this feature.

Photo, up to 3 pics per shot using the phones camera of your quarry (if you hit it that is!) Would also be a really cool feature if when taking a photo of say a fox you had shot, it automatically measured the distance via GPS from your marked shooting position!

Journal, the story behind the shot or days shooting. (no limit)

For me, that would be great, but others may wish to add certain extras like sex, age, head score if your a deer stalker, fellow hunters/shooters if it's a days pheasant shooting etc.

Another feature I would like to see is a total tally page, where you can define how many foxes/rabbits/squirrels etc. you've shot in say 2012, just the month of july, or at a certain permission!

Accessing your entries would also have to be a simple task, by date, week, month, year, quarry, permission, as well as a long scroll-able list stating date and title.

Not too much to ask, is it?

If anyone has any other good ideas to include in this ideal shooters app or finds an app (on Android or iOS) that comes close to these specs, please let me know, I would gladly pay a one off payment for listing my shots in such a journal/format. (and just in case your wondering, yes, I have and do hand write my journal at the moment)

Maybe there are some developers watching, and can design one for us..........now that would be nice!!

Regards,

Dave ;)

Edited by RangerDave

You can get Excel to do most of what you desire and so long as you already have it it is FREE!!!

I don't have it and I've looked at document apps, and there is the possibility of mapping out a standard format page with a lot of the requirements on it like date, quarry, distance etc., but I might as well just carry on writing that in my physical log book, which I don't carry with me on hunts.

The whole idea of having an app on a smartphone is the fact that you always have it there with you, with most of the data collected automatically like date/time/weather/location, plus you can add photos and a map to your log, even get GPS to track your hunt!

Admittedly, some tracking apps still have niggles, mostly due to weather conditions and getting a good satellite fix, the other week while out on my friends farm I tried one app called AndAndo, on my return back to the farm I ended the tracking and took a look at my route.

Apparently I took a detour to Mali in central Africa, a 5026 mile round trip, not bad seeing I was on foot and was only gone for a few hours! lol!!