G.W.A. Morning Taster flight

Highbird70

Hi All,

A big Thank You to Ian and Ben from GWA, they took me out and Str33t for a morning taster flight.

We arrived right on time at the meeting point....my morning didn't start well, due to my allarm clock missfiring, Mr. Str33t managed to wake me up at 3.54....by 4.04 we left the house, direction Gloucester, in a terrible state....lol.

We met with Ian and Ben and travelled to the Severn estuary, not a great impression I made,,,withing 30 sec of arriving...I was asking for tissue paper to our hosts....not goood...lol.

We walked down the river banks for less than a mile in the dark, to a already decided spots, Mr. Str33t with Ben and decoys, myself and Ian a little further in a little creek.

Ian exsplained me that it was perfect condition...very windy and some rain, I asked Ian in which way he would have like me to shoot...under his comand on ID wildfowl or to my own ID (I do ID certain type of ducks quite well....Teal...Mallard...Widgeon), Ian advised me of the type of duck present in the area, so if unsure on the ID, we would have just not shot...best and safest way.

Still I felt that great weight on my shoulder....IF I get it wrong...I will look like a right plonka and I was really trying to avoid that scenario....so I thought...if I see a duck that I think its on the list...I will just start saying DUCK DUCK DUCK.....little I did know, about the numbers of duck that we were about to see...lol

Just before first light....a shadow on top of the water....Ian missed the sight....and theres me wispering...DUCK DUCK DUCK....Ian probably thought...I'm shooting with a nutter, but 3 Teals just passed in front of us at 25-30 yards....never mind, in a weird way I enjoy much shootin as much I see birds flying in the sky.

First light.....

A wispering on the bank.....I say....duck duck duck, this time Ian spots them.... a quick....quak quak with the mallard caller...Teals come in range....I fire 1 shot...1 Teal down. Unfortunally due to the morning rush wake up call, I forgot the waders and waterproof trousers....I will not describe you the state...the condition and the feeling of the bottom part of my body, especially after Ian told me after spottin an incomming little tornado...Mark get ready...this its going to be fun...well.....a downpoor of ice water with super gusty wind a 5 minutes of hell....that finished me off...oh well keep looking for ducks I said to myself as I lost the feeling of my lower body parts....lol

Many other wispers were heard on the bank Duck Duck Duck...but birds stayed just out of range, still a great place to be...good company and birds...a lot of birds and for the first time I saw a pair of shell duck...result.

It was a fantastic experience a thank's to Ian and Ben, definetely going back...if you allow the wispering duck nutter on your river banks.

Mark

Hi Mark, it was a pleasure for both Ian and myself to take you out and you are welcome back anytime. Str33t was unlucky not to put a few birds in the bag, but they say that wildfowling is the toughest form of shooting and i think yesterday proved the point.

I am glad you enjoyed the expierience and when you come down again we can shoot on a different marsh and show you just how varied wildfowling is.

Cheers

Ben

As Ben mentioned it was a pleasure.

Got admit when i saw that mass of cloud coming up the channel, i was a little worried, but god wasnt it cold on the face...

It was good to see that many ducks moving around, and i would of expected them to come in closer to where we were just to get some shelter, but that is the joys of wildfowling.

I thought you were cusing me, but now i understand you were saying "duck, duck"..lol