How to Build a Pheasant Release Pen

Hello Everyone.

Over the last month or two I have noticed a few topics on 'how do I go about building a release pen ?'

Well I thought that I would create a topic on helping and general ideas on how to go about building one.

First of all you will need a good area. Ideally in the middle of the drives allowing the birds to spread to them and be driven back on shoot days. The area will also need to be sheltered with plenty of cover. However I would advise you make it easy to get to with a vehicle.

Here is my area.

post-62028-0-16694800-1363975905_thumb.jpg

After this you will need to measure the area. Mine had a perimeter of about 200m so not the largest.

I knock an 8"6' post in every 4 m but that's just me, you may do more or less. Going by this I needed 60 posts. They were about £3.50 each but may change.

For the corners I opted for a wider post making it stronger. Also I have 2 per corner so it smooths it off so the poults do not run into the corner if panicked and smothering and killing themselves.

o7ps35.jpg

I would not advise by hand hire a post knocker or employ a local fencing contractor because it will do your back in and it is unlikely you will reache 8 foot tall unless you are a giant haha.

Once you have banged in all the posts in it is time to add the wire. I opted for some chicken wire that was galvanised so that it will last longer.

11vm7at.jpg

Also do not nail it too high up because you will need to leave room for it to bend over to prevent foxes digging in and killing your birds.

Anyway I will update as I go along because I have stopped due to bad weather lol.

4ktauh.jpg

28cniaq.jpg

Thanks very much

HotShot!