Rabbits last night - damage with the HMR - graphic photo

deaquire

Hi all, managed to get out last night :yahoo: I only had an hour and the weather had been good through the day so chanced it. Typically, the rain started coming down and wind started howling but I continued.

I'm wanting to make 3 pies for Christmas presents so only really wanted to shoot 3 or 4 rabbits but ended up with 8 for 10 shots. The two I missed were a little rushed. Two of the kills I got were on the move - really happy with that. The first one that was moving actually rotated at the last moment causing me to shoot it through the back legs, it was dragging itself to the hedge as I shot it through the chest - about 60 yards. The final kill was the second moving rabbit and it was in a slow run, I took a couple of seconds to feel confident and then killed it with a chest shot :good:

I included the close up just to demonstrate how unpredictable the HMR can be. It was at about 80 yards. Occasionally you shoot a rabbit and you can barely see an exit wound, and sometimes this happens - distance seems unimportant. Edit: Sorry. I hadn't intended to offend anyone. Genuinely didn't realise PW had a gore boundary :oops:

The final pic is two full freezer bags of meat. I didn't spend ages picking the bones clean, only taking the biggest cuts from the back legs and along the spine. Even so the paunching, skinning and getting the meat off took about an hour and a half but I'm reasonably pleased with that. However, that's still only two n a half hours from being shot to in the freezer and enough meat for at least a week for my girlfriend, 18 month old son, and myself. Bonus B) I usually sell my rabbits to the butcher as I get quite a lot but going to focus on getting more meat yield and keepinm them for myself.

Someone mentioned the other day about rabbits being bigger this time of year, there were some beauties among these 8.

ATB, Dave

P.s. one rabbit I didn't use, the bullet had traveled from the back-end of the rabbit and out of the shoulder destroying most of the meat and splitting the intestines throughout the stomach.

post-65328-0-32772300-1383216183_thumb.jpg

post-65328-0-80548100-1383216184_thumb.jpg

Edited by deaquire
Graphic photo removed.