smart watches

overandunder2012

That is in the eye of the beholder :-) You may call it 'functional' I call it elegant simplicity.

got nothing against ios but when i had it i always wished it would do the things androids do and keep the apple reliability. i assume they fixed the drop out problem since the iphone 4 :) i can always remember eagerly waiting for ios updates just to find not much changed.

Edited by overandunder2012

I'm curious - what features in Android do you wish were in iOS?

we could start with the live wallpaper or the different custom roms that get done by android developers.and i do think the new 3d type effect they promise for android l sounds interesting the apps of course are much for much the same as apple for the most part. and the bluetooth working with all phones not just apple is nice. so at the end of the day i would say apple need to improve their customization options apart from that the iphone is a great phone i liked mine ah yes and flash that would be a plus cos what ever apple tell you flash is everywhere on the net.

apart from being functional what does apple do better its not the look of the phone the samsung phones look way better. personally i think the iphone 4 & 5 look to alike apple need to come up with something iconic again. but then again alas theres no steve jobs now to lead the way

To me live wallpaper is just a cpu and hence a battery hog. It does nothing for usability. The fact that there are no customs roms is IMHO apples strength - all boils down to security. Custom rom = potential security risk. Who knows who has put what into that custom OS image. The single image Apple provides is not only secure - but if there are any issues, an over-the-air update is available pretty much with hours or days - compatible with every phone from the past 2-3 years. Uniformity - stability - security. Probably not a concern for most people, but it should be :-)

As for bluetooth - i've not come across a device I could not connect to. Wireless headphones, car hands-free. Ok, maybe one device - I could not link to an Arduino project I hacked up which included bluetooth, because Apple limit the use of the serial port profile, but that limitation is gone with Bluetooth 4/BLE devices.

I can see alot of value in Android - particularly in embedded devices, but Google really need to lock it down hard - it has become just too much of a wild-west scenario with the way apps can do just about anything on your phone.

To me live wallpaper is just a cpu and hence a battery hog. It does nothing for usability. The fact that there are no customs roms is IMHO apples strength - all boils down to security. Custom rom = potential security risk. Who knows who has put what into that custom OS image. The single image Apple provides is not only secure - but if there are any issues, an over-the-air update is available pretty much with hours or days - compatible with every phone from the past 2-3 years. Uniformity - stability - security. Probably not a concern for most people, but it should be :-)

As for bluetooth - i've not come across a device I could not connect to. Wireless headphones, car hands-free. Ok, maybe one device - I could not link to an Arduino project I hacked up which included bluetooth, because Apple limit the use of the serial port profile, but that limitation is gone with Bluetooth 4/BLE devices.

I can see alot of value in Android - particularly in embedded devices, but Google really need to lock it down hard - it has become just too much of a wild-west scenario with the way apps can do just about anything on your phone.

hi mate the apps are usually the same as you find in the apple app store whats available on android apple usually have or the other way round. i must admit iv never used custom roms my brother has and if you check out xda developers they are usually ok from there. guess the batterys better on my android as the live wall papers no problem and the cpu can handle it i would have thought an iphone could as well. there is a choice to use live wall paper or not. pity apple dont offer it :) as for security.. its a phone!!! but it does have antivirus security and the banking apps are the same as apple offer so no diff there. nope apple have to get the old finger out invent a great looking phone with more features than just box standard then i would be interested again. rip steve jobs i think your already being missed. apple pioneered the smart phone the 1st iphone was revolutionary but are sadly lagging behind in terms of imagination these days but siri is the saving grace hope its better than the android equivalents.

back to watches the iwatch maybe awesome especialy if they use siri in it so its voice activated maybe but i bet it will only work with a iphone sort of limiting their own market abit like samsung i suspect

The security is by far not the same. Try and find malware with a key-logger on iOS. Makes the apps themselves moot. The fact that you can install apps from 3rd party sources means that rogue apps which LOOK like a genuine banking app may be installed (sometimes without a person knowing), and even replacing an existing app. Seriously - android is fine - I personally wouldn't do anything like banking or financial (Paypal for instance) transactions on one though. Here is a good example:

http://thehackernews.com/2013/03/android-swiftkey-keyboard-turned-into.html

While these things _are_ technically possible on iOS - you would have to purposely jailbreak your phone first, then install an app from a 3rd party site like Cydia.

You might think it is unlikely to happen to you - but a fair number of Android devices in use now run versions which are susceptible to drive-by malware installation.

The security is by far not the same. Try and find malware with a key-logger on iOS. Makes the apps themselves moot. The fact that you can install apps from 3rd party sources means that rogue apps which LOOK like a genuine banking app may be installed (sometimes without a person knowing), and even replacing an existing app. Seriously - android is fine - I personally wouldn't do anything like banking or financial (Paypal for instance) transactions on one though. Here is a good example:

http://thehackernews.com/2013/03/android-swiftkey-keyboard-turned-into.html

While these things _are_ technically possible on iOS - you would have to purposely jailbreak your phone first, then install an app from a 3rd party site like Cydia.

You might think it is unlikely to happen to you - but a fair number of Android devices in use now run versions which are susceptible to drive-by malware installation.

you can set your phone to only accept apps from google play

attackers must have an app on your phone well its just like widows then as long as you dont open dodgy emails and have your antivirus on its no worse than your laptop. and iphones can be hacked dont know why you think its just android anything can be hacked if its on a network of anykind.

take a look at apples own support communities

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4901408?start=15

attackers must have an app on your phone well its just like widows then as long as you dont open dodgy emails and have your antivirus on its no worse than your laptop. and iphones can be hacked dont know why you think its just android anything can be hacked if its on a network of anykind.

take a look at apples own support communities

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4901408?start=15

You can have malware installed without installing an app - its called a drive-by

http://malwaredoc.com/Android-Permanant-Drive-By-Vulnerability

The only ios 'hack' that is known right now is the recent one where peoples phones were remotely disabled because their iCloud passwords were stolen (through phishing or using the same password elsewhere). Everything else is conjecture and not independently verified. That is not to say agencies like GCHQ or te NSA don't have access with the help of Apple. This is a given, but you would not know of it - you woud not see anything on your screen. Nothing is impossible to hack, but the fact remains that 99% of mobie malware is on android. Much of it used to be on Googe Play itself. Fair play on google they've tightened up their ship on checking apps, but stil many get through.

The whole security and privacy ethos on ios is just different. Permission to access things like the phone book, gps, microphone, etc is controlled by the OS. You the user give permission to an app to access these facilities, and you can say NO.

For example it would allow you to block something like this:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248727/Backlash_over_Facebook_39_s_39_listening_39_feature_is_a_problem_of_trust

Google gives android away for free - they pay for it with advertising - based on your personal information and habits. Think about it.

to be honest im not that paranoid its just a phone cant remember the last time i did any financial transactions on it if ever so this sort of thing really doesnt worry me much and at worst i would say android is only as vulnerable as windows and most of us take our chances with that. well you could use linux but the hackers use that :lol: .

to be honest im not that paranoid its just a phone cant remember the last time i did any financial transactions on it if ever so this sort of thing really doesnt worry me much and at worst i would say android is only as vulnerable as windows and most of us take our chances with that. well you could use linux but the hackers use that :lol: .

Quite correct - i'd say Android is the equivalent of Windows security wise and treat them the same. Install some Anti Virus on your android for sure. By the way - Android is Linux underneath :-)