Fat pheasant for Xmas

Keith

I went out for a quick swing round my permission this morning. Very frosty and quite a mist. Not a bird in site but a beautiful winter morning. Surprised a roe deer as I parked and it dashed of into the trees. Walked round for an hour with not a bird in sight. The surprised a roosting pigeon, which flew off through the top of some bare trees. I hit it through the trees at about 35 yards and knocked it down into the trees. It was a flapper and I followed it up quickly as it tried to get away on the ground. As I was nearing it, it managed to get a couple of feet off the ground and skimmed into some heavy bushes. As I followed it in a hen pheasant shot out and ran off for about 20 yards into the edge of a wood but stupidly stopped and turned to look at me as it started to take off into the trees. Hit it at about 25 yards.

Couldn't believe how big and heavy it was. Picked it up and went back to get the pigeon - could I find it, could I hell. Still the big fat hen was good compensation. Saw three more pheasants soon after but out of range and not having my missus and dog to flush them out of cover, had to give up on them. Didn't see another bird all morning but had enjoyed a beautiful winter's morning, was out in the countryside, doing what I enjoy and got a fat pheasant into the bargain.

Here's the hen and my Beretta.

post-8010-1198344107.jpg