Rape Stubble

johnnymills

Hi,

Some of the fields on my permission are oilseed rape, bonus for me was that they had started to cut the main field but after a few passes the machinery broke down then the weathers deteriorated leaving the majority of the field standing with a 60 yard cut strip along one hedgeline. Been out a few times this week for a couple of hours in the afternoon after work, not huge numbers but steady and really good hit to shot ratios (for me anyway), yesterday had 12 birds for 16 shots in two hours, similar numbers the few days before. Birds seem really focused and it's been particularly easy to decoy them in, even had a good few birds passing over, literally making a mid air stop and turning in. I've definitley realised the difference as before I've only been able to shoot over laid barley then stubble, where the birds weren't really interested and you only got passing shots, now its a different story! Can't see the field being finished any time soon having just seen the forecast. Got a few days off now so I'll be out tomorrow to give it a full days attention, I'll post some pics if I can. I'm trying not to get too excited... Already warned the missus she'll only be seeing me if I run out of shells! Which has probably put the mockers on it...

By the way read a book recently by John Humphreys 'Shooting Pigeons' thought it was really useful as a newcomer to pigeon decoying, however if anyone can recommend another I'll give that a go.

John.

Murphy gave me a proper kicking, arrived and half the field already harvested this morning, sat by the gate, watched them finish and within five minutes another tractor came in and started turning the stubble in... that'll teach me to look forward to something. Bit gutted to be honest. Managed a couple of rabbits that were a bit disorientated by it all in the top field but not much of a consolation... LMAO? No I didn't.

John.

Edited by johnnymills