various crops

hattochr

Hi guys, i have only recently taken up pigeon shooting, about 2 months ago, which means i have only been shooting over OSR. I have had some ok days with numbers around the 20 mark, but also some complete blanks! I have read various threads informing me on the importance of watching the pigons and flightlines which i have been doing. Costing me an arm and a leg in diesel. LOL. However some times they just don't come back after you set up. Again i have listened to others and moved my hides, good advice i have found.

What i am really after is some info on what stages can i shoot over other crops. I have wheat, which i have rarely seen any pigeons on. Still shoots at the minute. When is the best time for this?

1 field of beans which was planted 2 weeks ago, had a few decent days on this but now seems to have stopped, only crows left there. Is that it now?

Farmer is just about to plant 3 fields of maize. When can this be shot?

Also i take it i can keep shooting over the OSR looking for hard hit areas where the plant is low? But will the pigeons start leaving this alone when something better becomes available?

Cheers Chris.

Edited by hattochr

chris

you will not get any shooting on your wheat till its cut unless you get some laid areas so when it get bigger watch it your beans the same no shooting till cut really as for rape as long as you have some small patches this will shoot for a good while yet but the birds may drift off on to other farms if something better comes along like other drilling or peas so on . watch the drilled maize as soon as it goes in best time tho for me on drilling a few days after but this year they are hitting it straight away in places and in other leaving it 3 to 4 days then hitting it .

cheers Tom