.22LR subsonic

I have been using .22LR for many years initially as a target pistol shooter and then rifle. Only recently have I chosen to use a .22LR instead of an airgun or shotgun for vermin control and so have only just tried subsonic ammunition.

The only types I have been able to try so far are Winchester Super X and Eley (both HP). Grouping wise, the Winchester was equivalent to the standard velocity CCI I normally use, and the Eley was giving groups half the size. I have a Ruger 10/22.

What stands out to me, when using either of these, is the amount of flaky dirt they produce (like a grey grit). The ever reliable Ruger rotary magazine siezed up and needed to be dismantled and cleaned after about 50 rounds! With standard velocity rifle and pistol ammunition I never experienced anything like this.

Is all subsonic this dirty?

I have used both eley subs and winchester subs in my 10/22 and find the eley's group better so tend to use those. As for the the magasine getting dirty in 50 rounds i'm quite surprised to be honest. I havent cleaned my mag since I got it purely because it functions practically flawlessly. I bought the gun second hand and it seems like it hasnt been cleaned in a long long time. I don't intend to clean the mag untill it starts causing trouble.