retreving

low flyer

Hi as you know I am new to this. Spandor puppy in now nine weeks will retreve in enclose area perfectly however when we go to widewr space like the garden she will run anywhere but back to me.

Am I asking to much to soon and how do I moved from the enclosed area to open area.

I am giving her about 6 retrevesa night is this to much or to little.

Thank in advance

I wouldnt give the pup any retrieves at this age to be honest, but thats me...others may have different advice

All i concerntrated on at this age was when the pup was running towards me, i would call its name and then give it loads of praise when it came to me...at about 18 months old she would still not get this many retrieves per night....

Just my opinion hope it helps, just bond with the pup, theres plenty of time for retrieving at a later stage

I wouldnt give the pup any retrieves at this age to be honest, but thats me...others may have different advice

All i concerntrated on at this age was when the pup was running towards me, i would call its name and then give it loads of praise when it came to me...at about 18 months old she would still not get this many retrieves per night....

Just my opinion hope it helps, just bond with the pup, theres plenty of time for retrieving at a later stage

I agree, get her coming to you just now and let her enjoy herself.

If you want to do some retrieving just now I would cut it back to 1 or 2 a WEEK... 6 a night is too much and as above I wouldn't give my mature dogs this number of retrieves unless I was working solely on a handling exercise, send backs, lefts and rights etc and even then 3 or 4 is usually plenty.

I've been reading the books I got before we picked up our now 13/14 week old lab the last week or so and they are suggesting that you shouldn't throw anything for the dog at this stage.. concentrate on hold and give ( hold when you put something in the dogs mouth, give when you take it )

One command only and then insist :lol::yes:

Do some walking in the correct place and say heel, sitting etc..

I think the approach if you want to pet dog and a gun dog are a bit different :look:

Oh - and apparently no squeaky toys..

-adp

I've been reading the books I got before we picked up our now 13/14 week old lab the last week or so and they are suggesting that you shouldn't throw anything for the dog at this stage.. concentrate on hold and give ( hold when you put something in the dogs mouth, give when you take it )

So those "books" were a trial run with the Gutenberg printing press then? Depriving a retriever not only of retrieves, but of retrieving? That's so archaic, it's asinine, if not daffier--don't care if your intent is to have a gundog, a Frisbee chaser, or a slipper fetcher. "Shouldn't throw anything for the dog at this stage," but *should* stuff something in its puppy gob and "concentrate" on keeping it there? Lord Byron, help us.

Read some new books, that have gundog work translated into if not the 20th century, at least the 19th. Retrievers retrieve. And that's from the instant they first retrieve the dam's teat for suckling. Otherwise, get a Llasa Apso and deprive it of lapdogging if you think deprivation is what goes into training a dog.

MG