Hw80 New or old!!

Jazzyjay

Hi all

Can anyone help me with some advice? I`m looking to buy myself a hw80 in .22 calibre with the intension of tuning it to fac level, licence pending, but i`m not sure whether to buy a new one and tune it or buy a secondhand one and tune it. Am i right in thinking that more power can be obtained from the older guns? I have contacted airrifleheadquarters.com in america asking what power output can be obtained from the gun and was given the following reply.

It depends on the gun-seal etc. Over USA FAC power if you space it correctly- Old guns up to 23 ft lbs- New bad tubes 16-13 ft lbs in .22

I would like to buy a new gun if possible so i know that it has not been played about with but don`t want to buy a gun that cannot be tuned to 20+ ft lbs

Help!! :yes:

Cheers

Jay

i had an older model ,tuned it up using the t.r.robb booklet ,which if i remember was upgraded sleeved spring ,enlarged and reamed transfer port ,polished cylinder ,and molycote,plus supplied lubes ,think i got it up to about 21ft lbs on the chrono.google t.r.robb thats my advice,he was and proberbly still is superb at tuning spring air weapons

Hiya

If you 'drill down' in Google I think you will find that the HW80 was originally designed for european use and more than the legal UK limit for off the shelf air-rifles - 12ftlbs.

I have an early one from when they first came out which was tuned by the then Venom Arms Co. to I think around 22ftlbs. It was serviced by them just before they were taken over by Webley some 10+? years ago.

Great 'tool' in my opinion and unlikely to/wouldnt really want to part with it

You may want to consider more 'modern' PCP air-rifles as these are likely to have less or negligible recoil. But then you have the hassle of tanks of air, seals drying out, etc whereas a tuned 'springer' is good to go immediately.

Regards

L