a question of age me n my mate are a bit confused

zeb

right here goes hope u can all follow my post :blush:

right me and my mate are both 17, he has past his driving test and we have permission on the farm he works on, obviously we cant get there with our gun as we are both under 18, i turn 18 in Jan and he in April

know the question is when im 18, if we load up our air rifles (i mean the one we borrow from our parents :blush: ) and go off up to the farm ad we get pulled over if i say they are both mine or that mine and thats his dad which he borrows, how will the law see this ?

also we have permission on the farm his dad works on he used to work there as well anyhow to the first field it about a 50 yard walk if that , if the police stop us (this is when i have turned 18) what the law on this ?

i think i know the answer which is a ****** but i just wont to check

14-17 years old

You cannot

•buy or hire an air rifle, or ammunition, or receive one as a gift. Your air rifle and ammunition must be bought and looked after by someone over 18 – normally your parent, guardian or some other responsible adult.

•have an air rifle in a public place unless you are supervised by somebody aged 21 or over, and you have a reasonable excuse to do so (for example, while on the way to a shooting ground).

:lol: does a gun in a case in a boot on way to shooting grounds constitute a public place???

your fine mate when your 18,may be tricky with your mate.best bet is to pop into your police station,and explain to them what you wanna do and see what they say,get it from horses mouth so to speak,cant say much if they stop you then if they told you its ok. :)

Not as simple as it might have looked, Zeb!

At 17, both of you have the right to carry air rifles and use them anywhere you have permission. If the rifles are over 12 ft lbs power, they would need to be on a Firearm Certificate - if they are, message me and I'll tell you about that to save space on here.

That means you both have the right to own the air rifles, carry them with you and use them anywhere you have permission and at any legal quarry.

The bit about your post that worried me was the 'load up the air rifles and head off...'

Under firearms law, any part of a firearm is itself a firearm - including sound moderators and magazines. If you load the magazine at home before you go out to shoot, that magazine becomes, in law, a loaded firearm - and it is an offence to have with you a loaded firearm in a public place.

This applies even if the magazine is in the car, or in your pocket or anywhere else!

The answer is to wait until you are actually on the land where you have the shooting permission before you load the magazine - I know it's a pain fiddling about in the dark, but it's better than a night in the cells!

I deal with a lot of cases like this for our junior members - the legal insurance covers the fees for an expert solicitor to fight your case if you are charged :)

Hope that helps, and remember that SACS membership is free until you turn 18...hint hint... :lol:

thanks for the words guy's

first off i new most of stuff already but was playing dumb so not to confused anyone/ myself , sounds like i might get the number of our local firearms officer as our station is only maned 2 hrs a week :lol:

by" load up the air rifles and head off.." i meant sling them in the boot of the car not load them :good: sorry for the confusion, and tbh i dont have to worry about magazines at the moment because we both got springers <_< i don know that we cant have a pellet in the breech cus it loaded even if its uncocked

like i said ill give the local FAO (that what there called right ?)a ring and see what she has to say :angry:

as always thanks for the comments and help [=

No that is only with firearms and shotguns, i am fourteen and have asked many similar questtions to our FLO, he said that when i turned 14 (which i am now) i can be given an air rifle and pellets, then shoot unsupervised (provided i have permisson of my parent or guardian etc.) on the land which i had permission, with the usual rules of an adult (i.e. 50 yards of the centre of a highway, legal species).

The thing is even though i hold a shotgun certificate, i can only be given a shotgun and cartridges when i am fifteen and at the momet have to supervised by someone over 21. But the over 21 bit is only of firearms or shotguns.

Also the other point that i have found out is that i can apply for a sect 1 firearms with a 10 semi-auto shotgun but no be allowed a normal semi auto or SxS :lol:

EDR

yea we could leve the guns at the but my shoot is 3 miles away from the farm and so are my other shoots(same as my mate) at the mo my gun is at my mates cus my main permission is on the poultry farm i work at which is right next to were he lives all a bit complex, anyhow we will see what mr FAO has to say then we may just weight for both of us to turn 18

It doesn't seem that difficult to understand, to me.

"If you are 18 years or older there are no restrictions on buying an air rifle and ammunition, and you can use it where you have permission to shoot."

Whereas, your 17 year old friend cannot: "buy or hire an air rifle, or ammunition, or receive one as a gift. (His) air rifle and ammunition must be bought and looked after by someone over 18 – normally your parent, guardian or some other responsible adult." (This bit alludes to ownership, not possession. At 18, you are automatically viewed as an adult - the responsible bit is down to you.)

- Or "have an air rifle in a public place unless you are supervised by somebody aged 21 or over, and you have a reasonable excuse to do so (for example, while on the way to a shooting ground)." (This bit alludes to possession, not ownership.)

So, once you're 18, you may own your gun and transport it through a public place (normal rules regarding keeping it covered/unloaded obviously apply). You can also be lent, by for example your mate's Dad, another gun.

There is no reason that your mate cannot drive you and the two guns in your possession (as long as all parties are clear that they are in your possession), to "where you (both) have permission to shoot." ie. you have (the) possession: what you are not doing is "supervising" your mate and his possession of a gun.

Once at the place at which you both have permission to shoot; because your mate is 17, he can "borrow (from you) an air rifle and ammunition" and "use an air rifle, without supervision, on private premises where you (both) have permission.

Make sure that you understand that at no point are you "supervising" your friend, obviously you can not do that, because you are not 21 years old. And as he is 17, he can "use an air rifle, without supervision, on private premises where you (and he) have permission".

More stuff on the BASC site.

Hope this helps?

Edit for clarity.

Edited by LEFTY478