New 20g

Ratc2

I know this must have been covered a number of times but what make and type of cartrdiges are guns using in their 20g?

My RFD said to try a few types and get a feel for what I like and what the gun is good with!

I've just bought some Hull High Pheasant 25gms #6 and some Gamebore Pure Gold 28gms #6.

Do you think with a 20g it's best to stick with 25 gms or use 28gms as a norm? Are the #6's better than #5's shooting pigeon's and Game?

I don't think I will be shooting at many clay's, I'd rather go out and shoot in the field at whatever I can find.

Any tips or advice please, "I'm all ears" as my gradmother used to say! :yes:

Suggest you stick to 6 shot for pigeons and 5s for crows (and maybe pheasants), although 6 seems to knock them all down well.

As to the load, I have had no trouble with 28 and 30 grammes: mount it properly and unless you have a very sensitive shoulder, it should not matter much. You might get bashed on the cheek a bit until you get the hang of it.

I've shot clays and pigeons all day with 28 grammes and not had a problem.

If you are lightly built and a bit boney, then try the lighter load until you shoot well then move up as needed.

Starting with the lighter load is good if you flinch or close your eyes at the report. Even try subsonics for a start.

Both the cartridges you mention are good loads.

Enjoy your shooting.

Happy New Year to all.

FG

Will someone please help me?

I thought the plesure of using a small gun like the 20g was a light gun and light load.

I hear poeple sticking 30+ grammes through them why? To me this sounds more like a12g load.

Why do everyone use a big load through a small gun, cause this must beef upthe recoil a bit?

My 28g has never had more than 14 grames go through it per cartridge.

BB

Will someone please help me?

I thought the plesure of using a small gun like the 20g was a light gun and light load.

I hear poeple sticking 30+ grammes through them why? To me this sounds more like a12g load.

Why do everyone use a big load through a small gun, cause this must beef upthe recoil a bit?

My 28g has never had more than 14 grames go through it per cartridge.

BB

I agree the other day i was talking to someone who puts 32g 5s through his 20 bore i all i could think was "whats the point"

George

iv been through this recently, After someone suggested 28 gram cartriges in a 28 bore!! Those seem far too heavy for a little gun! maybe even too much for a 20.

I use Fiocchi GFL 20 in either 24 or 28 gram no. 6 shot they stop anything, and they are a good price currently £160 a 1000. where i buy mine.

Depending what your shooting, 24gram will normally suffice through a 20b, the important parts where you put the shot. However, for fairly high north devon pheasants i find Nobel Sport M Speed 28grams are a good hard hitting cartridge. I prefer 5 shot later in the season when the birds are more mature, but 6s are normally enough.

That said ive seen a friend shoot consistently well with an old damascus barrelled hammer gun in 20b, and he never uses anything heavier than 24grms!