HELP ADVICE BROWNING PHEONIX TOPCOTE 12G SEMI

The Clay Rascal

Hi any body used one of these? SAW ONE FOR SALE AND THOUGHT I WILL ASK YOU NICE PEOPLE ON HERE AND WISH ALL OF YOU A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR AT

THE SAME TIME.

Just read some where that this model is a bitch to remove the bolt assembly when cleaning, it said u have to remove the trigger carrier, drifting out the pins Etc .

Would it be better than a AL 391 URIKA IN TERMS OF RECOIL , CLEANING AND STOCK ADJUSTMENT AS IT WOULD BE MY FIRST GUN,

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE WELCOME,

MICK

It's basically the same gun as the old Browning Gold, though I think Browning may have deleted the magazine cut-off and speed feed features to cut costs.

I had a Gold in 20 gauge and loved it- handled really well and it was very reliable. Traded it in on a Browning Ultra XS 12ga for my wife in the end.

I find cleaning any semi auto a chore, but the Browning wasn't too bad. I just did the barrel, piston and mag tube after shooting, and every 250 rounds or so I'd drop the trigger group and get inside the receiver. Reassembly is harder than disassembling the gun- you need to guide the bolt home carefully so it will engage the the recoil spring 'rat tail' (recoil spring is in the stock).

The instructions can be downloaded from Browning's website, but once you've done it a few times it's second nature.

It's a good gun, and mine had a seriously good trigger- not the spongy nonsense that features on most semis these days. If the price is right and it shoots where you look I'd seriously consider it.

Parts and servicing for the Beretta semis will always be easier to find than an obsolete model which didn't sell in great numbers. While 391s are not the be-all and end-all, I'd still go for one of them or better still IMO, a 390. For around £500 you can get a fabulously reliable semi that will cycle almost anything, and most gunsmiths can repair / replace things on them if ever needed.For that matter, a nice condition 302 or 303 costs even less and is supremely reliable and great to use....

Guntrader have quite a few Beretta semis listed in the Essex / Sussex areas. It may be worth your while to travel a little to a dealer where you could try more than one gun - there are some shops attached to shooting grounds and trying them out would be important for you. There are several dealers in the London area and even up to Oxford - I would certainly consider travelling to make a p;urchase of this nature - in fact, for one of my semis, I drove out to North Wales because it was such a superb gun at the price and the drive was "do-able" from the Midlands because we made it a day-out as well.

Don't limit your choices if you can travel - sometimes we have no choice but if you do, think of looking slightly further afield.