DIY Gunsmithing

fortune82

I recently bought an old Belgian .410 sxs hammer gun as a bit of a project. The gun gas bluing which is fairly worn on the barrels as well as some light pitting in the right hand barrel. My question is has anyone used a cold blue kit to re-blue an entire barrel set? If so what kit? What preparation did you do? What were the results like?

As for the pitting is there any way of polishing this out safely? I was thinking valve grinding paste and a lap. Has anyone any experience of this or would it be dangerous? I know if you go over 10 thousands of an inch increase in bore diameter it needs re-proofing.

Thanks for any help

Fortune82

This is what you need for the bore pitting in a 410 http://www.enginehones.com/11m240sc.html Your belgian proof marks are in metric so the maximum amount of oversize is 8 thousanths of an inch if the proofmark measurments were imperial then it is 10 thou , About the bluing the metal must be mega clean the finer finish you give the bare metal the better the final outcome but beware of buffing wheels they can remove some serious metal without you knowing about it so if you remove 3 thou from the bore and then 10 thou from the outside you have seriously weakened the barrels so take care , in the uk one of these flexhones cost's over £50-00 but in the US they are under $12-00.

Edited by Andy H

This is what you need for the bore pitting in a 410 http://www.enginehones.com/11m240sc.html Your belgian proof marks are in metric so the maximum amount of oversize is 8 thousanths of an inch if the proofmark measurments were imperial then it is 10 thou , About the bluing the metal must be mega clean the finer finish you give the bare metal the better the final outcome but beware of buffing wheels they can remove some serious metal without you knowing about it so if you remove 3 thou from the bore and then 10 thou from the outside you have seriously weakened the barrels so take care , in the uk one of these flexhones cost's over £50-00 but in the US they are under $12-00.

Thanks for the advice Andy H!

Was thinking of using wet and dry working up to fine grades.

Any idea about the best cold blue kit to use?