Pea Drill

pete1dart

After watching a field for a couple of days with pigeon numbers starting to build up, i decided to give it a go. My dad had shot the same field on the Thursday so with a days rest i had a go on the Saturday. I put a bale hide out on the Wednesday evening in a place the pigeons tend to go once they realise they are going to get shot at. But decided on putting my decoys out from an old hide on the side of a black barn.

It was drizzle on and off all day with alot of pigeon flying in the rain all day, but instead of coming straight into the field they tended to drop into the surrounding trees. I havnt seen this many pigeon for a while so thought i might be in for a good day. The first group of around 20 came straight in, i managed to drop 1 out of that lot, should really of had 2 but it was a promising start.

The action after that was slow, alot around but they were heading for the other end of the field or the trees. I decided to give the magnet a go to see if i could pull the ones that were going for the trees. No such luck. Bought it back in and had more coming into the deeks than with the magnet out.

Ended the day with 14 in the bag, my dad will be using the bail hide today so it will be interesting to see how he gets on. I cant seem to crack any big numbers on them at the moment. With this many around i thought maybe even getting to 30 would have been on the cards. Never mind hopefully later on i will get my red letter day.

Cheers

Pete

Pete

Pigeons and muddy fields dont go together thats why they will be pitching into the trees.

They will wait until the field drys out also they know the peas will not disappear unless you got lots of crows/rooks on the field.

How many did you dad get two days before as a general rule two days rest is not enough even on peas but they are rare times when I have shot a field three times in a week on peas but its is rare.

Regards and keep at it OTH

The birds were landing in on the field but at the other end and in the middle. We have found with this field before that they tend to hit the trees first and then play follow my leader into the field. My dad only had 13 before me, and didnt have that many shots. The pigeons have found the field but at the moment they do not want to decoy all day. It is very slow and we also found this on the barley drill.