How to make a dropnet/longnet, any ideas

craggrat

Hi

I am looking at making a longnet that drops, leave the net set for 3-4 days letting the rabbits get used to passing under it, then drop it when the rabbits are out in the field.

The field edge wher the sets are have no cover, it's nearly impossible to get any where near the sets at night or day without spooking the rabbits. there is a lot of light from road lights so they see you coming at night. I am looking at dropping the net from 50yds away. by pulling a cord maybe.

Has anyone made a drop net, if so could you post your ideas please.

Cheers

Craggrat

The book you need is Longnetting by Harold Wyman. Good book for longnetters. The are plenty of articles on thehuntinglife.com website.

Hi Steve

In the book does it mention about making a drop net, Ive been doing longnetting for many years, but i need to build a longnet that drops with the pull of a cord

cheers

Craggrat

Hi,

Just looked through my copy and there is a bit on how to make what your after. Basically, instead of using poles, he has used thin steel piping. This is then attached to fixed poles in the ground. The idea being the piping will slide up and down the poles. Its held up by small pins on cord. Not sure whether they all come out on one pull or you have do each one individually.

Brian Brinded sells them. His website is brian.brinded.tripod.com. Not cheap though.

post-17805-1271574082.jpg

Hi,

Just looked through my copy and there is a bit on how to make what your after. Basically, instead of using poles, he has used thin steel piping. This is then attached to fixed poles in the ground. The idea being the piping will slide up and down the poles. Its held up by small pins on cord. Not sure whether they all come out on one pull or you have do each one individually.

Brian Brinded sells them. His website is brian.brinded.tripod.com. Not cheap though.

Thanks Steve,

went to check my nets today and some f---- has nicked my net bag, well pis--- off.

Looks a bit clumbersome that idea, Its a excuse because they are to expensive.

cheers

Craggrat

Edited by craggrat

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hmmmm, tried to post yesterday but must have clicked the wrong button somewhere - anyway -

I am trying to do the same regarding a drop net. I have been allowed a bit of access to a paddock full of bunnies, but it is close to a public path and the rabbitts live in really thick brambles and don't stray too far from home - therefore its a drop net or nothing. To that end, and the unfortunate fact that I, like most find £400 a tad to rich for my wallett, a DIY plan is required. For anybody interested this is my design (yet to be proven but currently in manufacture. 1 x 50' net, 8 x 5' plastic bean poles (every garden centre at around £1.50 each) 8 x 4'6" copper tube with blanking cap on one end and 3mm hole drilled 18" from open end. Basically - net is attached to lower 18" of copper tube which is slid over bean pole exposing 6" of bean pole which when presented to the ground is pushed in virtue of the blanking cap. Copper is slid up bean pole and 8 x pins all tied in series together are inserted through holes. Bunnies run under, pins are pulled out on length of string, job done, or more probably back home for a re-design. All in around £70 plus development costs. I may be completely off tangent, helpful advice welcomed.

Ahhh, I recognise those poles !!. I like your idea, would I be right in thinking your net will be set to 18" high and is 3' off the ground when set high ? I need to be in and out within a couple of hours or so as the paddock belongs to a racing horse trainer so they don't want the hastle of working round me, I have to work round them when the horses are out (sounds fair to me) and neither of us want any agro from the locals wondering whats going on either !!

• 1 month later...

long netting peg to peg, it has a whole chapter on making and using dropnets complete with close up pics. 100yrd kit made for less than £35

the guy who wrote the book has nearly 30yrs experience in longnetting and has helped loads of people out on the forums to improve their netting. worth a read.

link netting.