Taking my rifle and ammo on a plane

tinytim38

Does anyone know which airline flys to Inverness and will allow me to take a rifle and ammo on board? prefer to fly from Cardiif, but any advice would be welcome...........................................

Best thing would be to phone Cardiff airport. Get it direct from the horse's mouth then. :re-assured:

Best thing would be to phone Cardiff airport. Get it direct from the horse's mouth then. :re-assured:

:good: was hoping someone had first hand experience, as some airlines wont take firearms, so I am led to believe...................

Edited by tinytim38

:good: was hoping someone had first hand experience, as some airlines wont take firearms, so I am led to believe...................

Hiya Tiny Tim,

My point was that even if somebody has knowledge of which airlines accept firearms, even 6 months ago might now be out of date. Call the airport and get first-hand up-to-date information. It's their job to know about these things.

good luck

Call the airline youre travelling with, you need to arrange before hand. You cant just plonk it on the machine and wait for it at the carousel the other end.

They usually like ammo and rifle stored seperately and they should arrange a group4 or similar security to take it from you and return it to you by hand at the other end.

They will obviously require you to have your licence, also call your local feo, im not sure if you need one of the eu firearms travel permits.

They have to be stored in a lockable case as well. Obviously.

Hope that helps.

Not sure on specific airlines, id of thought that most will do it.

Edited by joke209061

I see that British Airways fly that route.

BA will carry guns but will charge you heavily for it.

I flew to Prague last September with BA & we had to pay a handling fee of £25 each way for our guns adding £50 to our flight costs.

Soon after we returned I heard the fee had increased to £50 each way so will now add £100 in total.

You will need to store the guns in a lockable hard case, & allow extra time to complete the security checks & paperwork prior to the flight.

The ammo must be in a separate secure container & must be no more than 5kg total.

By the time you have purchased a suitable flight case & paid the airline security fees it may be cheaper to drive.

Also in 2006 when I flew to Greece (Thessaloniki Airport SKG) I had my gun case appear on the luggage carousel along with all the suitcases for anyone to grab so always be prepared for the worst.

I will be off to Germany on May 7th only 50 miles south of Frankfurt but we have opted to drive via eurotunnel simply because its easier & cheaper & you get to keep your guns in the car with you & there is no weight limit on ammo carried.

ATB

N

Edited by neil smith

By the time you have purchased a suitable flight case & paid the airline security fees it may be cheaper to drive.

You also have to look at it from a time perspective, for example if I get a holiday and I want to go shooting on it, I will be wasting my time driving across Europe, when paying the extra cost might save me on time which is in much shorter supply with my current job.

You also have to look at it from a time perspective, for example if I get a holiday and I want to go shooting on it, I will be wasting my time driving across Europe, when paying the extra cost might save me on time which is in much shorter supply with my current job.

was thinking of going to Scotland not across europe, 7 hour drive versus 1 hr in the air? ;) ? thanks for your effort it is appriciated.