dogs 1st season

jonnybgood

Hello all, i have a 18 month old black lab, he is my 1st gun dog. I have trained him to sit on the spot, he walks at heel and retrieves dummies, though he still runs in. most of the shooting i do is wildfowling and several friends have told me that now i should just start taking him shooting to see what he does. is this a good idea? what next step would u take?

Cheers jonny

I'd say make him steady to shot first...........you may be lucky but why risk a dog with a retrieve that might get him into trouble, especially on an estuary where a winged bird may swin under and surface way out in a strong tide?......for instance?!

I wouldn't just take him shooting and see what he does bud, if he gets gun shy your have a hell of a job on your hands. What I did was take a mate with you and put a far distance between you see how he/ she reacts to gun fire, if ok gradually get closer. Basically you want to introduce the dog to gun fire gradually.

Hello all, i have a 18 month old black lab, he is my 1st gun dog. I have trained him to sit on the spot, he walks at heel and retrieves dummies, though he still runs in. most of the shooting i do is wildfowling and several friends have told me that now i should just start taking him shooting to see what he does. is this a good idea? what next step would u take?

Cheers jonny

Hi Jonny you say he retrieves dummies i take it you have taught him left and right etc when you are sending him for the dummies? I would not rush straight into live game train him on cold game first and see how he get gets on with that.

Have you introduced him to gun shot yet? if not try a starter pistol then think about taking him close to a clay ground not to close and just walk with him on the lead and see what he does when he hears gunshot.

As Leon say's you want to introduce the dog to gun fire gradually. :good:

Edited by blacky