Finish on Browning Cynergy Inflex Sporter

Roman

Hi Guys,

I've recently bought a Browning Cynergy Inflex Sporter, which I really enjoy shooting. However, despite the Browning website stating that the finish on the stock is 'Glossy Oil' it appears to be some kind of gloss varnish or plastic/polyurethane finish rather than oil. To be honest it's the only thing about the gun that I'm not keen on. Anyway, after only a few outings it has already got a few marks on it. If the finish was a matt-oil finish, like my Beretta, then I'd simply apply a light coat of conditioning oil, which cover up small marks and dents so that they blend in with the character of the wood. However, with this 'Glossy Oil' finish any marks stand out like a sore thumb and I'm not convinced conditioning oil will have any effect.

I guess my questions are:

1. Is this really an oil finish, or is 'Glossy Oil' simply Brownings name for varnish/plastic coated?

2. How do I treat it to cover up small marks.

3. Is it possible to remove this finish completely and rework it for a matt-oil finish instead?

Any advice or suggestions would be be most welcome.

Cheers, Roman

Edited by Roman

I have a feeling its similar to the winchester "topcote" its a plastic laminate type finish over the top of a plain wood stock, I dont like it really (I love the black ice tho) someone will know for sure but i think the blemishes will be hard to cover.

I have a feeling its similar to the winchester "topcote" its a plastic laminate type finish over the top of a plain wood stock, I dont like it really (I love the black ice tho) someone will know for sure but i think the blemishes will be hard to cover.

I had a pro sport Cynergy for a while and think it is a poly finish as opposed to oil. I used to maintain it with the green legia spray which brought it up a treat. Only way is to strip it back and have it oiled. You will struggle to repair the blemishes although a good polish will blend / hide them.

I know what you mean about the finish it seems to mark alot easier than a straight oiled stock.

Thanks Guys. That confirms my suspicions. I'll leave it until the marks become really annoying and then ask a Gunsmith to strip off the plastic finish and replace it with an oil finish. I think the wood grain underneath the top coat may be real rather than artificial laminate as the grain is clearly visible inside of the forend. In the meantime I'll try the Legia spray idea.

Cheers, Roman