Last shoot of the season

2bangs

Had a good day today, set up the hides and decoys by the pond at around 13:00, sat in freezing temperatures until around 16:15 then heard the honking of the greylags, that started the old ticker pumping and forgot about the cold for a little while :yes: two came flying in from our left, circled the decoys but landed in the wheat feild behind us, they sat there for around 15 minutes or so then decided to fly to the decoys, they went straight over my mates hide two shots rang out and two greylags hit the deck, around 10 or 15 minutes later the honking came again, this time a skeen of 20 greylags, again they circled the decoys, the adrenaline was pumping and it was so hard to sit motionless as they circled, again they decided to go into the wheat behind us, this time they sat and didn't look like they were going to move, my mate in the other hide said that he would sneak round behind them and walk them off, seemed like forever but he eventually appeared over the brow of the hill behind them, honking like hell they took off and headed straight for my hide, I turned to them as they came over the top, picked my bird and pulled the trigger, heard the thud but the goose didn't drop, gave it the second 3 inch magnum and this time it folded, I couldn't believe my eyes as it recovered and flew on with the skeen, only flew for around 100 yards then dropped, I was glad about that because I would hate to think it flew on injured and died slowly, went and picked the bird and brought it back to the hide, now it was almost duck o clock :good: we wandered down to the small wood next to the pond and waited for them to roll in, didn't have to wait long and the first pair flew in from the right, they dropped with a left and a right, steady flow of birds for the next half hour or so, picked 11 birds at the end of the flight, fantastic last day, bloody freezing but well worth it. :good::D :D :D

Sounds like a good do well done :good:

We had our last go tonight ,first we pushed the ducks off the main lake only 7 were shot and i managed 1 .

Then we split up to cover all the lakes and ponds and we shot 16 ducks and 2 greylags with me shooting 4 ducks saw plenty and shed loads of pigeons coming to the woods .

Tomorrow is our keepers day and it should be good fun :yes:

Sunday night = 4 teal and 5 mallard between 2 ponds. Last night in a different area we had 25 mallard, 10 teal, 2 gadwall and a pochard and these were on frozen ponds. Lost another 5 mallard as well. So a very good end to the season. 143 cock birds and partridges today, little walk about yesterday and now it's all over for 6.5 months. Pigeons, carp and deer here I come...

Had a good day today we shot 183 head in total and picked another 8 duck from the night before so really good , i shot 6 french parts with 1 i will remeber for a long time to come as it was high and wide but fell like a brick after 2 other guns had missed it oh and i had 3 pigeons :good: