Sunflowers

Hello all- I have some lovely large patches of sunflowers growing for game cover crops on the estate.

Even with the poor weather they have still done well.

Now the heads are in flower but ive noticed that when the seeds start to emerge the flocks of gold finches etc eat them before they fully ripen. I was thinking would it work if I cut some heads off the plants and brought them on in doors to ripen the seed so I can feed it to my pheasants.

Naturally I don't mind the finches eating some but at this rate the game birds won't get a look in and they go mad for the sunflower seed.

Cheers

Alex

Hello all- I have some lovely large patches of sunflowers growing for game cover crops on the estate.

Even with the poor weather they have still done well.

Now the heads are in flower but ive noticed that when the seeds start to emerge the flocks of gold finches etc eat them before they fully ripen. I was thinking would it work if I cut some heads off the plants and brought them on in doors to ripen the seed so I can feed it to my pheasants.

Naturally I don't mind the finches eating some but at this rate the game birds won't get a look in and they go mad for the sunflower seed.

Cheers

Alex

I've found the small birds messy eaters and they scatter seeds below the heads which the game feeds on. Squirrels completely mullah a head and theres nothing left for anything.

You can try putting a paper bag over the heads to protect them. Don't use plastic as it keeps moisture in and the seeds will go mouldy.

This should allow the heads to mature

Remember that the subsidies paid under stewardship schemes are for 'wild bird cover crops' and are for exactly that, and 'cropping' it may put at risk the payments your farmer receives.

I would not worry about the loss of sunflower seed to finches anyway - other species in the mix will be more for the pheasant's benefit than sunflowers. If you are concerned you can always buy some sunflower seed and add it to your feed mix, although kibbled maize may be preferred.

Crops aren't under stewardship so that's no problems there as I planted them for pheasants. Seemed silly buying sunflower seed due to the massive cost of a bag of it and the fact I will have so many from the plants- have had delivery of kibbled maize today.

I'll keep an eye on them and hope I can get some seed off for my phezzies.

Cheers A