snaring/trapping equipment

bicykillgaz

hi gents,

i'm starting to get into snaring/trapping, at the minute i'm still on the theory side getting books online and reading up on how/where and when is best. i'm a complete novice and got no one to teach me so if anyone can suggest any good books i would be greatful. i'm more intrested mainly in snaring to keep weight down but i'm also really intrested in learning to make primitive/diy traps.

i've been getting snaring stuff off the trapworks website and fleabay but i've not got a decent bag to put it all in, i want something with various pockets to keep all my different tealers and snares seperate aswell as my tools what do you guys use.

also what kit/tools do you carry which you would deem essential.

thanks in advance

atb gary

I trap here in France and use a white plastic bucket, but I am carrying foothold traps, snares, stakes, lure, etc.

If I was only snaring I would think a simple backpack would work just fine. For me... keep it simple. All you need is some wire, your snares, your gloves, some pruning shears and some pliers.

If you use a good stiff wire, (coat hangers work), you can wrap it around a tree or fencepost as an anchor, (I use a screw clip so I can remove or replace snares without changing my wire. The main purpose of the wire is to support the snare at the proper height.

PM me if you have any questions.

Pete

hi pete,

thanks for that mate, as i say i'm just getting in to it all, if i'm honest i don't really like the whole concept of letting something choke to death but i like the practical/bushcraft side of making drop traps and such and using whatever nature provides, i just find it all intresting.

plus when the worlds economy collapses and the sheet hits the fan it's nice to think i wouldn't be short of food.

i think i will end up with a back pack or army style messenger bag as i want to be able to practice making traps when i'm shooting in the woods so i'll already have my rifle and shooting sticks to carry.

atb gary