Training last night

Spaniel

I managed to get down the field last night with the Lab.

My Lab is my wildfowling dog and although i have taken her out a few times so far this season on an evening, i have not shot anything for her to retrieve,at present i think she thinks i take her out so she can curl up and go a sleep in the ditch :lol: ..

My main concern was would she find any game if i did shoot it in the dark..., she as retrieved the odd cold game and obviously dummies but all in day light, which gives her the chance to use her eyes and her nose to find the game so harmed with saturdays pheasant i decided to give it a go last night.

It was dark in fact I could hardly see her :rolleyes: but i sat her up and launched the bird out in to the thich stumps of grass area, i didnt really see where it landed to be honest myself, but my lab had no issues what so ever.

i gave her 4 retrieves in total walking away from the area where the bird was etc with her at heel and then sending her for the retrieve, each time she hunted like a demon, and on each occassion she returned to me without any calling with the bird....got to say i came back last night well pleased with her and her finding abilities and no doubt will leave it for a couple of weeks and try it again..

well thats my update on training so far

Cheers

Night flighting, maybe. But if you're fowling during civilised hours, it's nonsense not to put a dog's two top senses, sight and scent, and not always in that order, to work.

Even at night flighting, if you're fowling in a gale and the fall of the birds gets muffled or exaggerated by wind direction, you're sort of up a creek without a long paddle for getting the bird. Unless the dog hunts (scents) its way to it - working the wind, which is acceptable.

Likewise in daylight, if the dog's in a hide and the fall's unseen (by the dog), better hope you've developed its handling skills before commanding it to make a blind retrieve.

Spaniel, the dog having to "find you" with the retrieve after you'd walked away without a recall whistle or shouting her name can be engrained pretty easily - and carries on for life if they get in the habit. They soon learn you're the "depository" for the bird or bunny - and if it's not dropped off to you, they may have to carry it all day and thus not get another marking or hunting opportunity. The less you can use a whistle - whether rough shooting, fowling or heaven forefend field trialing - the better.

MG

Yes it does look better when you just stand there and the dog returns to you with the game, rather then blowing constantly on the whistle :yes:

Even with hunting the spaniels, well the younger one more, i try not to turn her on the whistle and let her hunt as freely as possible, using the whistle only to pull her back if required, rather then peeping her on the turn all the time,

You can train blinds in the dark all you need is one of those flashing collars so you can see the dogs location, rest assured they can see you if in doubt shine a torch at your feet this is what i used to do lamping with lurchers years back it was also a good silent recall signal. Personally i believe in all rerieving/marking ways as you never know what you will need in the field till it happens. As for dogs not hearing in the wind i have seen dogs that can apparently hear pellets striking or maybee the altered wingbeat of a wounder we are unaware of etc. i shouldnt bother about wind to much I mentioned the above only to highlight the significance of training in the dark (hence it wa a third party) like i say i use all ways :good: I shoot most of my duck from sunset to 2hrs following but Geese in daylight as a norm so it would be daft training only at night for me. Moon flights proper i can only carry out on a few spots