Wife's SGC

Mark-70

My wife wants to apply for her SGC, problem is she can't share my safe as it contains section 1 firearms. A second safe is far from ideal due to space. I will of course consult with my FEO nearer the time but wondered if anyone else has encountered this issue & what your FEO may have suggested?

We have separate safes. Is the safe attached to the wall by rawl bolts? I know someone who replaced one with a loop and runs a cable through the trigger guard of his .22. Only he has the code. His FEO fine with that.

If they are happy giving your wife a SGC they have assessed her suitability and she would be a very low risk person. The other thought would be to get her to put in for her FAC.........

I have shotguns and section 1's. When my son applied for his SGC the FEO (Surrey) wanted them separated. He was realistic about it but said that's what needs to happen.

The other way to think about it is if, for any reason they check to see what your wife has access to it could be the end of both your and her certificates. Even if the FEO says it is alright, the day it goes wrong it will be down to you.

I agree entirely and wouldn't feel safe knowing

That somebody else had access to my safe, even if it was agreed & legal it's not going to happen.

I had already made my mind up that she either has her own Safe or dosent apply for the certificate but was curious to know if some of you chaps had encountered the problem too.

Thanks for the replies and info in advance.

Would it be an issue to store her gun in your safe but only you had the keys? So you have to open the safe each time she wanted to go out? If not job done, if so get her a safe of her own.....

SGC is independent of storage

Edited by HDAV

She's not really interested in having her own gun but would need her own certificate to shoot at some of the grounds I shoot at. But if a certificate was granted I'm sure it would be on the basis that she could at some point buy her own gun and would need storage that she had personal access to & not have to ask permision to use mine.

I'm sure the best & only solution is as suggested a break down safe to meet the criteria & serve the purpose if she chooses to buy her own gun at some point.