How Do You Feed Duck Ponds?

We've got two duck ponds, we put down 250 mallard ducklings on the largest which is on an outlying part of the farm which we shoot as a separate drive and 100 on the smaller which is combined with a pheasant drive and is part of the main farm.

In past seasons we've feed the ducks with barley using automatic feeders at the side of the ponds. Last season we couldn't get the ducks on the larger pond to flight off the water when the beaters and dogs went near, after the first three shoot days. An added problem is we have a public footpath nearby but often find villagers off limits walking their dogs in the fields, this is something we can't do anything about as it needs the farmer to put a stop to it.

The smaller pond provided some good shooting early on and then the majority of ducks disappeared, barring about a dozen who've keep appearing on the brook which runs either side of the pond since the season finished. This pond has a public footpath adjacent to it.

It has been suggested that we feed away from the ponds. The land surrounding the larger pond is partly cultivated, this year it's OSR, the other part is grazing land for sheep and cattle. The land around the small pond is all grazing.

Any ideas chaps?

hope you dont mind me asking but do you keep the ducks in a pen before releasing on to the pond etc, and at what age do you get them ready for the season to begin etc

cheers

Spaniel, I've replied to the PM you sent me.

on the 2 shoots i beat on, the ducks fly best on the one that feeds away from the pond. The one that feeds on the side of the pond is very difficult to get the ducks to fly well as they just swim from one end to the other with the odd few lifting and doing a small circle then landing again, this is even with flaggers and a string stretched over the water.

The pond that is fed away, the feeders are about 40 - 50 yards away from the pond. The ducks seem to be used to lifting off the water and away from the pond as they normally fly to and from the feeders, but also use the pond to rest.

Don't know how scientific my findings are but it's what seems to be a regular pattern with most people i speak too. I will get to find out for myself this year as we have our own flight pond for this season aswell :good:

Edited by silver pigeon 3