Dual Purpose Rifles

mry716

We see lots of posts about using one rifle for both fox and deer but there are few folk that suggest a 308 or any other 30 cal.

BUT a 30 cal could well be an excellent choice if you use 150-180grn bullets for deer and 55grn - .22 - bullets for the fox size species. Sabots using standard .22 cf bullets in a 30 cal can produce velocities as good as the 204 and much better. You can reach 5000fps with a 300Win Mag and 4200fps is fine in a 308. At these high speeds the bullets are far better stabilized than they used to be in the old carriers that only allowed 2500-300fps.

The new ‘plastic’ used for the carrier is so much better than the previous types as it neither leave residues nor ‘melts’ or deforms so providing consistent shots one after another and will give excellent groups out to extended ranges. Even the 30-30 can push 4000fps and provide better groups with these than with the 170gn FN standard ammo. But only loading one at a time please!

I have managed to obtain some of the latest type from Hawaii and if anyone would like to try a few email me with an address and you can have them at what they cost me (£6.00 per 100 or pro rata if you want less) which is about a third the price the one and only UK stockist is retailing them for.

I have a full set of data for reloading a wide variety of cals.