Scope question

andy198712

Just zeroing my new to me ultra, was used for FT and had an amazing scope but the previous owner kept that and I've got a richter optik 3-9/50E that I've been using on 5 zoom.

My distance is 17yards for this first zeroing.

Using H&N ftt's in .22 flavour

So I've got the gun rested on a table with cusions and getting a nice steady aim. I look down the scope and can line up my target BUT if I move my head around (without touching the gun) I can move the potential POI by a couple inches in any direction.

Is this normal or **** scope?

Cheers :)

It's a parallax issue.

Does your scope have a parallax ring with graduations for distance on, if so check it's set in the right place for the distance your shooting at.

Scopes which don't have a manual adjustment are set at a fixed difference, either 50 or 100 yards. In theory they should be perfect at the set distance, but at other distances they will be off.

Either get a scope with parallax adjustment, and set it to the range your shooting at (if you haven't already got one), or practice getting your head to go in the same place each time, which is the best approach. The parallax adjustment is only needed if your head isn't in the right place.

Sometimes fixed parallax scopes can be adjusted by unscrewing a ring in the end of the scope, others may be able to advise on a way to set it to a closer range.

One way to cheat the issue and to get a good zero or shoot at ranges your scope isn't set to is to pull your head back from the scope until you see a dark ring, when the ring is even all round the scope your eye is in line.