Buying from the usa vat and import charges Question

Rebel

Vat is 20% - they don't work on the exchange rate you paid, but rather from a fixed table which is calculated once a month.

There is no customs duty on anything below 135 pounds.

You might get charged a 'service fee' for handling the importation 5 to 8 pounds (a rip off).

Vat is charged on the full paid amount - shipping + cost of goods.

Ok, that means it should come to you via Royal Mail/Parcelforce.

Last time I had one of those, they sent me an invoice in the post - I paid the vat/service charge online, and they then sent it onto me.

Amazon.com offer a brilliant service. They quote you the landed cost including shipping/VAT/Duties/charges/everything. If there is any differential in your favour after you receive the item (due to exchange rates etc), they will refund you. I had a couple of pound refund on an international purchase last year - you could have knocked me over with a feather when I got that e-mail. This only applies to stuff shipped by Amazon.com - not 3rd party resellers.

Edited by aris

I stumbled upon this by mistake.

If I get something shipped from China to my home, they hold at customs until I pay the duty. If I get it delivered to my work/business address, they deliver it and then send an invoice.

Not sure if it works all the time or for all situations, but has for me. This is with DHL.

The whole import tax thing is a huge confusing muddle. Take the instance of the replacement fishing bag I recently had from the USA based manufacturer. If I'd had the original bag back repaired under warranty there would be no customs or VAT charges, if however a replacement is provided for the unrepairable, damaged item full charges apply. Then on top of that you get stuck with the carriers charge this end although full postal charges to the original destination have been paid by the sender.

Just another rip off tax.