Pigeons Gone!!

tody27

I did a quick recce of my favorite field the other day while I was shooting. I crept over the bank and too my suprise I saw hundreds of pigeons flying round landing in the hedges and on the field. :)

I rushed home and grabbed my gear. I scared them away as I walked them off, not bothering to shoot any incase it scared them for good. I got set up and the Pigeon activity completly halted and in the end I only shot 2!!!!!

Could someone please tell me the reason for this.

I realise the birds were flying round more because they had been scared out of the wood by the pheasant shooting. But why didnt they return to the same hedges or part of the field?

Cheers

:yp:

Welcome tody27

I suspect that you have done what every other pigeon shooter on this site has done at some time or another (myself included) and that is seen a masive flock of birds and imagined a freezer full to the brim, unfortunately it dosnt work quite like that.

As you say the "local shoot" had stirred them up and i would hazzard a guess that they were taking a rest before moving on to safer pastures, your arrival just hurried them up a bit.

Better a few coming into the field at a time to feed rather than one big flock, one shot and there all gone, but with smaller groups your only scareing a few off and hopefully,

if we get it right on the day, others will follow and you can gradually build up a decent bag.

good hunting

regards sutty

:yp: