There ends another season.....

Colc08

That’s another season been and gone :( After my Springer coming in season and then missing as few weeks with a leg injury she managed to make a comeback for our last couple of days of the season and she did me proud!

She achieved some cracking retrieves on Friday and worked her tail off too. I didn't think she'd make it out on the Saturday as she absolutely knocked her pan out despite me trying to hold her back and take it easy with her...it’s just not in her nature though as I am sure is the same with all Springer. They don't have an off switch!

After a hot bath she didn’t move an inch for the rest of the night and was planning on leaving her at home on the Saturday because of not doing anything at all but lay around in front of the fire for 4 or 5 weeks I thought she'd be stiff as a board. Nope, as soon as I came down stairs at 6am she was up and bouncing around. Dressed in my shooting attire she just knew it was game on again and was once again keen as mustard!

Luckily it was a bit easier day for her as far as the cover was concerned with it mostly being flattened maize crops and plantations rather than the usual black thorn and brambles. It was also a walk and stand so she was able to have some well earned breaks in between drives.

Once again she was superb and as always was an absolute pleasure to have with me. At the end of the day I was even thanked by the keeper for bringing her and complimented on how well she worked.

Now the season is over its back to training and I am looking forward to meeting up the local gundog club and also the possibility of running in a working test or two.

How has everyone’s season been? And like me I'm sure you have all been delighted with how your companions have tirelessly worked for you throughout the season.

ATB

Col

took my 8 mnth English springer out just the one day, we had a quiet shoot and although he is now being trained and comes back to the whistle I decided to keep him on the lead all day,

he stayed calm all day and walked through the woods with me also, the most impressive thing I was made up with was how he behaved with the other dogs, they didn,t bother him at all

I know people will say he was too young but I wanted to see just how he would react, he is also familiar with gun sounds as he has been going the clay ground with me a few times and gunfire does not bother him at all ,

cant wait for next season to start as he now has 8months ahead of him to be trained up,

atb Evo