gamekeeping at sparsholt

flash

sorry if this is the wrong section :welcomeani:

at the mo im doing an ND in countryside managment at bicton college and am looking to further my education after this, im looking to do a level 3 national award in gamekeeping at sparsholt college, its a 1 year course. i know there are a few on the site who have been there or go there, so i was wandering if any of you have had any experience fo this course, and can give me any feedback as to wether its worth doing.

cheers

flash

so ur saying its not worth it, oh well, il have a look around for another college, was it the actual course that sucked or the way that the college actually did it.

cheers

flash

i did county side managment years ago ay berks agriculture colleage. and after a while i got to know about sparsholt. was told they are verygood. dont know about the dergee in question but they do have alot of fersilaties.

id just have a look around talk to ppl that have done the course they normally know the apple

I think you should just try and ask someone who has done it, they loved the college but didnt like the course that much.

Gamekeepering really just falls into peoples laps, most estates ask for experienced game keepers not qualifications. I thought many years ago to take up gamekeepering as a course, but with so few jobs around its a risky business, luckily i had my gamekeepering job fall into my lap from a farmer who i ferret the land on.

Now i couldnt be happier.

Alex :lookaround:

I went to Sparsholt in 1985-1986 and enjoyed the course. Some of the lecturers are still there, Dave, Jamie and Martin.

At the time it was the only college doing this course so students used to come in from all corners of the UK.

The accomodation wasn't upto much but the work placements were great, Broadlands being the best.

7 years keepering then another 7 in bird control, i used a lot of the "knowledge" learnt there.

Flash i'm 4 mile away so know what your so called lectures know and it's all from a book! :lookaround:

Can't beat pratical hands on :lookaround:

i spent 3 years at sparsholt doing forestry and countryside managment. don't live to far from it. have heard it has gone down hill don't know how true that is tho. i know when i was there they were trying to move on from agiriculture and doing more motor mechanic courses and rubbish like that. try lackham college near chippenham heard that is quite a good college