Does it make a diference?

Psyxologos

I was out shooting rabbits (and some paper targets afterwards) yesterday. It was crisp at -2 but a very enjoyable sunny afternoon. After I managed a couple of rabbits (there were not many around) I set up a couple of targets at 100 meters for some plinking fun. Shooting went well, I am still getting to know my CZ after I have put about 300 rounds through it. One thing I noticed is that there was a bit of smoke (remaining from the shot just fired) coming from the moderator after I closed the bolt for another shot. So I started blowing lightly down the chamber before I chambered a new round, and lo and behold plenty of smoke came out the front. Now, I did not notice any difference on accuracy depending on whether I 'de smoked' the barrel or not, but it got me thinking. Should the presence of quite a bit of smoke in the barrel from the previous shot not alter the ballistics and/or the trajectory of the next shot? I guess if there is smoke in the barrel already, the compression is different, or this is the theory. Am I missing something?

The pressure in the barrel after a shot always falls back to ambient air-pressure. Doesn't matter if it's got rain, smoke or fog in there, it's going to be roughly 1 bar.

Your next shot wont be affected by ambient pressure by any measurable degree unless it fluctuates a lot. "A lot" is subjective but if the sun comes up and you get a few degrees change in temperature, or you climb/fall a few hundred feet then you'll see a change in POI but realistically, that's not likely to happen.

Blowing warm moist air will cause condensation. Shooting in this cold any large amount will also cause condensation to form and collect near the threads and muzzle.

Remove mod to be sure!

U.

I always remove the mod when I get home and clean the rifles, if this is what you were referring to. Or did you mean remove the mod when in the field?